Chapter 16

BILLIE'S P.O.V

I picked up the tennis ball and threw it, watching as Peaches chased it. I looked over to my left as Elliot's phone started ringing. I made her let me get her a new one. I was scared something would happen and she wouldn't be able to contact anybody. She picked it up and answered it. "Hello?"

That was not my business. I didn't need to listen to her conversation. I had heard enough of her conversations. She stood up and walked across the yard, still talking on the phone. Yeah. I definitely shouldn't have listened in on it because that was not good, but if I just so happened to overhear it... it wouldn't be my fault, hereafter... was it really all that bad?

She ran her fingers through her hair. "Please. Just one more month... you know I can't do that!" She pulled the phone away from her ear and shook her head, shoving her phone back into her pocket and swiftly making her way towards me again.

I held my breath, stepping back. She was scary when she was angry. She never gave me any reason to be scared but she was just intimidating. "Is—is everything okay?"

"Everything's perfect, why?" She smiled but it was very obvious that it was forced and there was a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

"You, uh... seem a little upset?"

"Nope. I just..." She sighed, dragging her hands down her face. "I need to go back to England and clean out a storage unit of my mom's because I can't afford to keep it anymore, and I can't afford a plane ticket back to England, hence me spending a large amount of my money on convincing this jackass to not make me come get the stuff. I just—it didn't feel right getting rid of her stuff. Maybe it's stupid but..."

"Of course, it's not stupid. I don't think you should get rid of it. I'm not trying to overstep and I know you very obviously don't like people helping you, but do you want me to get you a plane ticket?" I asked nervously. I'd offer to pay for the storage unit for her but I know that would only upset her.

"I'll figure it out. You don't need to do that."

"I want to help you. Just let me."

She pursed her lips and then sighed, letting her head drop. "I promise I'll pay you back."

"Don't worry about that, Elliot. It's fine."

"I'm really sorry for putting you in this position. I shouldn't have even said anything. I don't want you to feel like you have to do anything for me."

"I know I don't have to. I want to. You don't have to apologize."

"Thank you," she said after a minute.

"You're welcome."

"Have you ever been?"

"To England?" I raised my eyebrows.

"No. To the North Pole."

I laughed, my face heating up from embarrassment. That was a dumb question. "Yeah. I've been multiple times. When I was on tour and stuff. Do you plan on going to see your grandma while you're over there?" I remembered her telling me that her grandma was her only family member still alive.

"Honestly... I'm scared."

"Why?"

"She's getting old and she's started forgetting stuff... a lot now and I'm scared." She shrugged. "That she won't remember me."

My chest tightened at her words. It was a little sad. I couldn't imagine how she must've felt. I wanted to hug her but I didn't think she liked it when I hugged her. It was hard to tell.

"But yeah. I think I should go see her." She nodded.

"So, when do you need to leave?" I grabbed my MacBook off of the table and opened it.

She glanced down at her watch and bit her lip. "Tonight would be ideal. Or early in the morning tomorrow."

"Okay." I typed my password in.

"Sorry. I'm not trying to be picky or anything."

I laughed. "It's okay."

"Billie," she said quietly.

I looked up confusedly, not sure if I heard her right. That was like the first time she called me by my actual name. It's always Bobby.

"Never mind." She shook her head, her eyebrows knitting together as she stood up. "I need to use the restroom."

"Wait. What did you need?"

She shrugged. "It was—it was dumb. Don't mind it."

"Say whatever you want to say, Elliot."

Her mouth opened and then closed. "I know that I've already asked for a lot but do you think that—no. It's—it's a stupid question, Bobby." She stood up and walked into the house, now looking a little angry. I wished she'd just say what she wanted to say. I wanted her to ask me to come with her. And if that was what she wanted to ask then I didn't want her to hesitate.

I jumped a little as the back door opened and Elliot walked back out.

"You don't have to say yes and if you don't, I won't be mad but I'm going to regret it if I don't at least ask."

"Okay." She was rather indecisive and I didn't know if it was okay to laugh at that, but it was funny because it was so blatantly obvious. It's not like she was arguing with herself in her head. She was literally getting angry and walking in and out of the house as she changed her mind, and it was funny.

"I just—I haven't been to the storage unit since she... died because I didn't want to see it and my gran's too old to get out of the house and come with me, and I just... I need someone, y'know." She bit her lip. "So if you don't have anything to do that can't wait for the next couple of days, do you think you could come with me?"

"Of course," I replied quickly, not knowing if she was gonna run back into the house or not. I definitely didn't mind going with her. I liked Elliot a lot nowadays. She was an interesting person to talk to and a nice person to look at. Those were two great motivators right there.

She smiled but then quickly wiped it away. God, her smile. I would've given anything to be able to see it all the time.