Chapter 12

"Adrian, I don't believe she knows who Giavanni is," Ivan, my best friend spoke

"I suspect that they're planning to do something," I shook my head.

Though I haven't seen Valentina in days, I have thought about her lately. She's locked up in the warehouse until she decides to answer me. I feel more and more like hitting somebody's head against a wall as she takes longer. Truth be told, I'm not very patient.

"What if you asked Riccardo?" Ivan suggested. Looking up at him, I knew Riccardo would provide me with the answers I desired.

I sighed, "I'll talk to him about it later."

"Did you really lock her up? Are your men even feeding the poor girl?"

"She's working with Giavanni, she can starve to death for all I care," I rolled my eyes. Maybe I was a little against the idea but she had to know who's boss.

"Not gonna lie, she's absolutely gorgeous," Ivan admitted while smiling. I wanted to slap the stupid fucker.

I glared at him with complete furry "Shut up and leave, I have a lot to get done,"

His comment on Valentina made me clench my jaw. I felt, angry and I had no clue as to why.

He chuckled and stood up from the chair, "Don't be a dick, she may have no clue about this. You'll regret this Adrian," and with that Ivan walked out of my office.

I rubbed the temples of my head and tried to focus on my work. I just want to sleep.

• • •

"I can do that," Riccardo said nodding. "You really have no choice Riccardo," I said,

"I know but why the sudden interest in Valentina?" he asked, cocking his brow.

I didn't tell him about Giavanni's plans. I wasn't even sure myself if he was planning something against me or Valentina just simply didn't know who her stepfather was.

He looked a little uncomfortable when I looked at him in the eyes. "You know better than to question me,"

Riccardo asked: "Will you attend the event tonight? Didn't you want to arrange something with Xavier?"

Fuck. The stupid event.

A party is always held every year where the most powerful criminals attend. It's nothing more than a dumb flimsy party. The only good thing about it was that it would be a perfect opportunity to forge alliances.

The thought occurred to me that Giavanni and his wife were likely going to be there. I couldn't help what would happen if I brought his precious stepdaughter with me. If Valentina really didn't know who he was, then this will be one interesting encounter.

"Yes," I answered.

Clearing his throat, "Um can we talk about something?" He laid a serious look on his face and folded his arms over his chest.

"What is it," I asked annoyed.

"It's about Isabel," he looked worried. Her name only aggravated my anger. I had no desire to be involved with that girl.

"You can leave in the next thirty seconds, or I pull out my gun,"

Riccardo sighed and stood up from his seat. As soon as the door shut, I leaned back against my chair and put my arms behind my head.

I kept thinking of Valentina. It doesn't matter whether she was related to Giavanni by blood or not, she was still a part of the family. I left her in the cell for four days, I made sure Jackson filled me in on how she was doing. Apparently, not so well.

What did she think of me?

Why does it matter what she thinks about me? I chuckled. I'm definitely not like those pretty romantic boys she probably fantasizes about.

Before heading back to the warehouse, I needed to finish some work here. It has been a while since I've examined any of the shipments. My men better be handling them properly.

I shook my head. I'm going insane.