Chapter Thirty-eight

Alana's POV:

I sat in the garden, taking in a deep breath, it had been a few days since Alexander had come, and I missed him a lot, the castle feels seriously empty without him here, and I appreciated the fact that he agreed to let us text, my parents were driving me insane, I loved them but the constant nagging got to an unbearable point, I couldn't comprehend why my entire existence had to revolve around marrying a man. 

From the moment I first became aware of my surroundings I've worked my ass off to be the best ruler my people need, no matter how hard Charles and I tried, we were two complete strangers and even time couldn't change that, and I thought I could love him like I was supposed to after we wedded but he was just not the one, I don't think I'll ever meet my person, my status acts like a repellent and it scares people away, even though I loved being a royal it also sometimes felt like a shadow blocking everything good that ever came my way. 

I headed back inside, this time to the living room, I sat on the couch and stared at the screen, there was a file waiting to be opened and I didn't want to open it, thankfully my mom came in and gave me an excuse to put it off just a bit longer, 'sweetie the Calder's are going to stop by and leave their princess with us as they need to travel and she wanted some fresh air', I rolled my eyes, 'why does she have to stay here?', my mom sighed, 'because they asked and we can't say no, so please put on a nice smile and welcome her when she gets here'. 

I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs but I just nodded as my mom left the room, I headed to my room for a change of clothes, I always liked to look good, even if I was welcoming an unwanted guest, so I picked out my best outfit, and when I was done I went back downstairs just on time, the doors opened, and her short figured stomped through them, I put on my best fake smile as I walked towards her and greeted her, 'Lucy it's so good to see you again'. 

She returned my fake smile, dropping her heavy looking bag to shake my hand, 'Alana, good to see you too, dressed to impress as always I see', she looked me up and down like I wasn't dressed normally, and I wanted to do the same but I had always liked the way she dressed, 'Carl can you please take Lucy's bags to the third floor bedroom?, thank you lots', he picked them up and rushed away, 'would you like to get up and get some rest or would you like to do something else?', she smiled, it was strange, not just a fake "let's get this over with" smile. 

'you don't have to hang out with me if you don't like me', I gulped, slightly brought back, 'it's not like that', she shrugged, 'I understand, I'm not your posh crowd', I sighed, 'can I confess something?', she nodded, raising an eyebrow, 'I fucking hate my posh crowd', she chuckled, ' I do too', 'crazy idea, do you wanna help me pick a boyfriend?', she seemed shocked for a few seconds but then she relaxed, 'as long as I get to be brutally honest', so I lead her to the living room, and we sat on the couch. 

This time I found myself confidently clicking on the folder, 'oh my god please tell me this is not a slideshow of royal douchebags', I couldn't help the small laugh that left my body, 'unfortunately it is, my parents have decided I need assistance getting a proper boyfriend so they had a matchmaker make me this lovely slideshow', she shook her head slightly stunned, 'anyways, I shall begin'. 

I opened the first picture and Lucy instantly lost it, 'oh come on he's not that horrible', tears brimmed her eyes as she clutched her stomach, 'he's 20 yet looks like he has a van with "free candy" written on it dude', I sighed, she wasn't lying, I moved to the next one, 'way too preppy', 'I agree', and the next one, 'looks like knockoff Charles', I sniffled in my laugh, I continued on scrolling through them, Lucy didn't miss the chance to point out everything wrong with each one of them, and I honestly would not object.