Chapter Thirteen

Alex's POV:

I opened my eyes, grimacing at the bit of light coming from the window, I wanted to stretch but couldn't as a heavy body was holding me down, I had jokingly told Charles last night that if his legs touched me I would throw him off the bed but this was too much, his arm was wrapped around my shoulder and his leg was wrapped around mine, I couldn't tell if he was trying to cuddle or strangle me, sadly I can't say this is the first time I've woken up like this, Charles is tall and awkward and somehow always sleeps weirdly. 

I could barely turn around to face him, he was a little too close but I ignored it, and the feeling of comfort I felt analyzing every little detail of his face, 'Charles, wake up', I gently shook his arm, he groaned but didn't move a muscle, I rolled my eyes despite not really wanting to get up, 'Charles get your ass up, my arm is numb', a small smile crept to his face and I realized he was pretending to be asleep, 'it's early, you're warm', is all he said as his grip seemed to somehow get tighter, 'it's 12, we both have work to do'. 

He opened his eyes just a little and his smile was still there, 'okay, give me a minute to adjust to existence', 'can you let me go?', I asked with fake annoyance, 'no', he let out a soft laugh, his eyes were looking straight into mine and I had an urge to look away, 'got any plans for the day?', he finally moved his leg from mine but still kept his arm around me, 'I have no clue, I think I'm going to do some final touch ups on the masks, then see what Al thinks, I might do some archery too, you?', he sighed, 'Alana said I can't box until the ball has passed because she doesn't want any imperfections on her perfect day, so I'm pretty much stuck choosing plates and wine glasses for the day, especially since I barely escaped that last night'. 

His smile faded and his face turned a little serious, something I wasn't used to, his lips seemed to move every once in a while like he wanted to say something but didn't know how to say it, 'what is it?', I stared at his hazel eyes once again. 

'can we just.... leave?', I raised an eyebrow and he let out a heavy breath, 'I meant leave the castle, get the fuck out of here and away from royalty, live in a little apartment that barely fits us, explore a city we've never seen, just be normal people', I managed a small smile as I felt exactly what he was talking about, my heart slightly ached at the sight of his teary glossy eyes, 'I wish we can, Charles', he buried his head in my shoulder, and it was my turn to wrap my arm around him, this wasn't normal, I knew that, not for friends at least, it felt special, and in that moment, I couldn't care less.

I moved the spoon around plate a little, my thoughts spinning like an endless spiral in my head, things weren't supposed to feel special when it comes to him, but they did and I didn't know if I can deny it anymore, every little pang I felt reminded me that my emotions have gone further than they needed to, my eyesight was almost hazy when I saw a hand wave in front of my face, bringing me back. 

'huh?', I lifted my head to be reminded I wasn't alone, 'dude you haven't touched your ice-cream and it's genuinely making me think you're a psychopath that likes it melted', I let out a forced laugh, 'I'm sorry, I've been having a weird day', I bit my lip awkwardly and knew I needed to change the subject, 'eh weird day or not, at least I finished those damn masks before Alana murdered me, that's the biggest relief', she chuckled, her face lighting up, it reminded me of him, they looked alike, everything reminded me of him and I wanted to erase my memory. 

'Alana has been bombarding me with questions about what I'm going to be wearing, I mean I like parties but I do not need to prepare my outfit a month ahead, she's a nice girl but she can be so pushy sometimes', I smirked, 'you don't have to tell me about it, she checked with every girl coming so she makes sure no one even wears the same color as her', she seemed a little surprised but let out an awkward laugh, we continued chatting for a bit, then we decided to give video games a shot, I went easy on her as she admitted to not being that good, for a minute I thought that my head had cleared up a bit, but just as we finished our first match, a figure made its way in between us on the couch. 

He greeted us normally, a real smile plastered on his face, guess this morning isn't getting to him the same way it is to me, 'so you guys having fun playing on easy mode?', Lucy slapped his arm, 'Alex did it so it would be easy for me', he turned to me and lent in, 'what a gentleman', he didn't sound sarcastic, and it pissed me off for some reason, I smiled burying all my feelings deep inside. 

'can I have the controller?', despite avoiding it we ended up making eye contact and my heart softened, 'yeah', I handed it to him, he turned to the screen his smile wide, 'prepare to see what a sore loser Lucy is', 'shut up shithead', 'language', she rolled her eyes and I sniffled a laugh, he didn't like cussing and rarely used it, not unless he was emotional, the thought brought back this morning, "get the fuck out of her and away from royalty", he had worded my lifelong goal, except now, leaving didn't seem easy, living away from him didn't seem easy 

He sensed the fact that I was zoned out and I felt his hand on my thigh, I looked back to him, he was busy with the game but he took a second to look at me, 'are you alright?', his voice was quiet enough for me to hear, 'yeah, just a little tired, I had practice today', I was tired, so that wasn't a complete lie, 'you can sleep on my shoulder if you want', I would usually say it's fine and continue sitting down normally, but I needed this, I set my head comfortably on his shoulder, Lucy looked at me and smiled normally, it made me happy to know she didn't think it was weird, if only I thought the same, I glanced up a few times to look at his face, but my vision soon faded to black, I was thankful for that as it also cleared my thoughts and finally let me relax.

I woke up and the room was now empty, my head was on the arm of the couch and there was a blanket on me, I checked the time and it was almost 2am, I stood up and headed for my room, right as I got to the door I received a text, I checked it and it was from a servant in the castle, 'sorry, cant get you the pack, couldn't get to town today, maybe next weekend'. 

I let out a heavy breath, this wasn't helping the anger growing inside me, my body moved on its own and I started kicking the wall with all the strength I had in me, endless cuss words spurred from my mouth to the point where I didn't even know what I was saying, an arm wrapped around my shoulders pulling me away from the wall, I turned to the figure and my breath hitched in my throat, 'Alex it's 2 in the morning, what's wrong?', my vision blurred with tears and I gripped the back of his shirt, without hesitation his grip tightened and he almost fully held my body weight, my words wanted to slip, "I think I might be in love with you", instead I let out a sob, 'I'm so scared, it's happening again', my words made no sense to him, but he didn't question me, further telling my heart what it already knew.