Chapter Forty-four

Warren's POV:

I took my time walking as the weather was nice and I had gotten to school early, unintentionally of course, insomnia was just kicking my ass, the campus was still empty and I enjoyed the quietness, I sipped my coffee and basked in the refreshing morning air, the serenity I felt was broken by the sound of footsteps that seemingly invited themselves to walk alongside me though. 

I glanced to my side and sighed, there goes having a good day, 'can we talk?', I took a look at his bruised cheek and felt a twinge of guilt in my chest, I stopped momentarily and he did the same, his eyes were hopeful, 'I'm sorry about that', I pointed to the bruise, 'I hope you can accept the apology from me because he won't say it himself', 'is he your boyfriend?, or is this a crush thing?', the question caught me off guard and I quickly shook my head, 'we're just really good friends'. 

'it's just that you always hold hands around campus and I've seen you walk him to class and this whole situation got me feeling like there's something more there', 'no, there is nothing, we are just protective of each other, that's all', he sighed, seeming relieved, 'I don't need an apology from either of you, I fully deserved that punch, I just want the chance to talk to you', his voice was pleading, and his eyes were anxious. 

'let's go sit first', we walked to the closest bench and sat down, I turned to my side and he was staring at me intently, 'I'm not a very nice person', he stuttered his words out and I raised an eyebrow, 'that's not how I was going to start, I can't think of what I wanted to say', he fiddled with his hands as he visibly tried to collect his thoughts, I reached out and placed a hand on his knee, 'calm down, I really want to hear you out', he took a deep breath and smiled. 

'thank you, and what I want to say is that I don't have the best reputation, that's essentially why I never agreed when people would ask me out, because I was scared they were going to learn the gossip and get scared off and I was going to be left with a broken heart as usual, and that's what happened with you, ever since I saw you at the tour it's like there's nothing else in my brain and when you asked me out, I didn't even hesitate to say yes, but then the thoughts hit and I just froze', he paused for a bit, 'I know me apologizing means nothing but I'm sorry, you don't owe me anything but I just wanted you to know that'. 

I gulped, 'you're not a bad person, the day we were supposed to go out, it was my mother's death anniversary and I just forgot, and it only hit me once you stood me up, so if anything, I'm the bad guy here', he sighed, 'I'm so fucking sorry, can we give going out another shot?, I tell you about my past and you tell me about yours and we leave the judgment of each other till after that?', I smiled, 'that sounds good', he returned my smile. 

'for now can we just sit here, we'll walk to class together', I nodded and he leaned back, throwing his head to face the sky, he had a small proud smile on his face, I did the same and his hand slyly made its way to mine, he threaded them together and let out a breath, 'you're smooth', he chuckled lightly, I did not move his hand as the feeling was comforting, we sat there for a long while, until we had to go to class at least, and he did not let go of my hand until we were almost at our building, 'we can hold hands as much as we want once we actually figure out what this is', he smiled, 'I look forward to that'. 

Once we walked into class, he sat next to me, and in turn got a few strange looks, everyone knew he was an outcast who always sat the furthest he could from everyone, and I was starting to not appreciate his seating change as every time I looked to my side, he'd be staring, and he would not look away no matter what, it was making me feel like a nervous school girl, 'if you don't stop staring, the next punch you receive is gonna be from me', I whispered my words to make sure no one hears them, he smiled and turned to the board, but within less than five minutes, his eyes were back on me, I just tried my best to focus on the slightly boring lecture.