Chapter Twenty-seven

Charles's POV:

'where's your head at?', I looked to my side at Alex and a smile spread to my face, 'I'm thinking', he bit his lip, 'about what?', 'you, us, how we're gonna get the hell out of here', he smiled sympathetically, almost telling me, with no words at all, that the reality I dreamed of was impossible. 

'you have a lot to consider Charles, it's not just about us, it's about the people of your kingdom and ours', I shook my head, 'the only people I am thinking about right now are me and you, I'm allowed to be selfish when all I've done is live a life of perfect calculation', he opened his mouth to respond but we both fell into silence as Al strutted into the kitchen happily. 

Despite us whispering our words, my anxiety heightened up at the thought that she might've heard us, but her giddy attitude said otherwise, she was quick to rush to my side and kiss my cheek, causing both Alex and I to fight back a grimace, 'Alex do you know where my chocolate bars are?', 'cabinet next to the sink', she glanced him a quick smile then rushed to it, she opened it and started looking through it. 

'so I'm having the girls over for a sleepover tonight', she finally found what she was looking for and stood up, 'and Gina's gonna be here so Charles I don't want you anywhere near that', Alex chuckled, 'is that the girl trying to get it on with Charles?', Alana nodded, making a barf face, 'she so obviously wants it and won't take a hint that he's taken, so I want you two to have a boys night or whatever you do, just stay away from my floor', Alex glanced me an awkward smile, the thought of a "boys night" being a lot different for both of us with all the new uncovered feelings. 

'yeah sure babe, we'll stay in a guest room downstairs and I'll avoid Gina at all costs', she smiled, 'thank you, I'm gonna so rub it in her face tonight that I'm meeting the wedding planner this weekend', I gulped, not having a clue she was doing that, 'the what?', she had an innocent almost taunting look on her face as she spoke, 'oh I didn't tell you?, mom and dad don't like long engagements, they said we should tie the knot in a month or less, depending on how fast the planner can do it', my heartbeat slowed and I felt all the air leave my lungs. 

I was scared to look at him but I gave Alex a hesitant brief glance, his face was blank, the emotions visibly dripping from it, I turned back to Al, 'can we talk more about this later?', her expression turned worried but she nodded anyways, excusing herself and leaving the kitchen afterwards, I turned to Alex, both of us not knowing what to say or do, one thought mutually consuming the insides of our heads, we were running out of time.

Alexander's POV:

I stared at anything but him, he was pacing angrily around the room, my eyes wandered outside to the star studded sky, it was a beautiful night, 'they can't do that, they can't force us to get married before we even go to college, isn't the fact that we're being forced into this marriage enough?'. 

I stood up off the edge of the bed, gently grabbing his shoulders to stop him, 'Charles look at me please', his eyes instantly softened when they met mine, 'breathe', he inhaled and exhaled deeply for a bit and I felt his muscles loosen up, I smiled, 'do you want to go for a drive?', his face lit up and he nodded. 

We both snuck out of the room, glancing around every turn we took in case any of Alana's friends were lurking around, we went into the garage and got into Charles's car, he drove out and turned around to the back garden, the roof once again slid back, fascinating me, and revealing the carefully painted night sky. 

He stopped the car and we both sat up at the top of the seats, it was now my turn to stare at him, his already bright hazel eyes catching the moonlight and shinning even brighter, his light brown, blonde-ish, hair messily slicked back, I had never seen anyone this perfect, I carefully pulled my phone out of my pocket, making sure the camera was in focus, then snapping a picture. 

His head instantly turned to me at the sound, he smiled, 'come on, no pics, my hair looks bad and I'm in my pj's', I smiled staring at the photo a bit before locking my phone and returning it to my pocket, 'I'm gonna paint that', he chuckled, 'do you really want to?, I look awful', I shook my head, 'some people are just meant to be painted and kept forever, you're one of those people', his face flushed a red color, he shook it away.

'I remember when we first met and you told me I had a "great facial structure"', he sniffled back a laughter and I rolled my eyes, 'was I supposed to say "you're the most gorgeous human being I have ever met and I wanna paint you"?', he shrugged, 'yeah that would've worked I think', his tone was mocking what I had said to him before, 'touché'. 

He patted the chair and we sat back down, he pushed a button and the backs of the chairs fell flat, I smiled and we both lied down, I heard him let out a small breath, 'Alexander can I hold your hand?', I bit my lip as we both looked up at the sky and not each other, 'yes', his hand was warm as his fingers tangled with mine, a type of warmth I never wanted to stop feeling. 

My phone buzzed and I pulled it out slightly, just enough to see the screen, there was a text from Simpson, 'Alexander I need to talk to you, meet me at my study at 10', I had a bad feeling about the lack of the details in the message, but I shook it off, choosing to focus on the perfect moment I was lucky enough to experience and the perfect person I was lucky enough to love.