Chapter Fourteen

Charles's POV:

We were sat on my bed, his head resting on my lap, my hand tangled in his curls, his soft breathing was the only sound breaking the silence, he had stopped crying a few minutes ago, yet he still hasn't said a word, it felt wrong to speak first in such a vulnerable moment. 

His head turned, and he caught my eyes as I was subconsciously staring, 'I'm r-really sorry', his voice was strained and the stutter made my heart ache, 'don't apologize Alex, I'm worried about you, not mad', he grimaced for a second, I don't think I was supposed to notice but I did, 'I've had a long day, and I needed a smoke but I ran out of cigs and it just tipped me off the edge, it seems that all my life I've hung on the edge, always waiting for something to tip me off so I can explode, so don't worry about me I've gotten used to these breakdowns I have, usually though, I just let them play out, but you-, never mind', he shook his head a sad look stuck in his eyes as he looked away from me. 

I kept playing with his hair and my hand wanted to explore further, analyze every detail of his face, my fingers almost betrayed me but I pulled my hand back just in time, snapping myself out of my trance, 'I think I have an idea, let's catch some sleep and we'll handle this tomorrow', he looked up at me, his eyes now soft and trusting as he gave me a nod, my heart panged, my head screamed at me telling me to stop being a coward, but I was, so I said good night and we both fell asleep together pretending this was just what it is, a friendship.

I opened my eyes, I was met with a bright light creeping its way from the window, the warmth and comfort I felt made me never want to leave bed, but I had to get up. 

I could deny caring about him in a special way, but that didn't mean I would stop doing it, Alex was more complex than anyone could tell by just looking at him, but I knew him, he was a spider web and I knew my way around every string, though sometimes, he would close down the spider web and would not let me in, I always found a way in, that's just the way it is. 

Denial gets hard, pretending gets hard, but being the first to speak, is also hard, so unrequited feelings and unsaid things will stay the way they are, possibly until life stops us from being able to say them. 

He looked deep asleep, and I didn't want to bother him after last night, so as smoothly as I could I slid his head onto the pillow and made my way out of the room, I yawned, stretching my body and making my way down the hallway, I stopped at the sight of Lucy reaching her hand up to knock on Alexander's workshop, 'he isn't in there', she jumped back at my voice, looking to be in her own world. 

'good morning Charles', her tone was sarcastic and I smiled, 'he's sleeping', 'I checked his room he isn't', I sighed, 'my room', she raised an eyebrow, 'didn't know you liked sleepovers', 'Alex is the only friend I've ever had, so I didn't have them before that', she gulped, her face looking serious, and knowing she was a walking ray of sunshine, I also knew something was wrong. 

'why did you ask me to come here?', 'what?', I was genuinely questioning where this was coming from, 'why am I here?', 'I wanted you to see my life here, I missed you', she smiled, but it was bitter, 'I wish I could say I believe you Charles', 'Lucy stop being cryptic and spit it out', she sighed, 'fine, I need air, let's go outside first', the walk to the castle garden seemed to go on forever, every hallway we turned I expected her to speak but she didn't, once we made it outside, she breathed in deeply and stretched her arms up to the sky. 

She continued walking for a while, I followed next to her, 'I'm your sister', she looked into my eyes, a soft look in her eyes, 'yeah I think I know that', 'what I'm saying is that I know you, I can tell', 'tell what?', 'that girl, you don't love her', my breath hitched in my throat, 'I don't-', 'but you are in love, aren't you?', she let out a small laugh, 'either of you are that subtle about it', I wanted to speak multiple times but every time I felt like there was nothing I could say. 

'do you hate me?', her head snapped towards me and she slapped my arm, a stern mother-like look in her eyes, 'how can you even ask that?, I love you with all my heart, and if you came to me with a dead body and a shovel that still won't change', she pulled me into a tight hug. 

She pulled back, 'I am kinda mad I flew all the way here to be reminded of how single I am, but eh, I still believe my person is out there, probably in a coma but out there nonetheless', I let out a chuckle, my nervousness melting away at the sight of her smiling, 'is it really that obvious?', 'the look in your eyes whenever someone mentions him is enough dude', I sighed, 'it's scary, I have no clue what I'm doing'. 

'I know, and I cant tell you it's going to work out because no one can really know, but I think you should tell him, no matter how things turn out, it's better than leaving it be', 'you really think?', 'yes, stop wasting time, tell him', 'okay, I'll try', she shook her head, 'I can't believe my brother is a wimp', I chuckled as I grabbed her head and started ruffling her hair, we bickered for a bit before we both had to return to our own lives.

I sped down the hallway, Alex should be waiting in front of my room, I had texted him to wait, I spotted him and rushed towards him, 'good morning', he had a hesitant smile on his face as he spoke, 'good morning Alex', 'just letting you know, I'm not a big fan of surprises', 'don't worry, you'll like this one', I grabbed his hand gently and started walking, 'close your eyes, it'll be more fun', he had a "really" expression on his face but he did anyways, I made sure to pay close attention to his steps so he wouldn't fall, it didn't take long to get to where I wanted us to be, I let go of his hand and quickly opened the door, switching the lights on, and pulling him forward into the room, 'open em', he opened his eyes, almost instantly turning to me, 'really, Charles?'.