Chapter Thirty-two

Alexander's POV:

I nervously checked how I looked in the mirror, and after the third outfit change and millionth mirror glance, I felt semi-ready to leave, my phone dinged, 'I'm ten mins away, you excited for the first day?', 'more like extremely nervous, talk when you get here, u shouldn't text and drive', I checked if I had everything in my bag then went to the kitchen. 

I started the coffee machine to make an ice coffee for Warren, he liked it cold and I'm not gonna lie I was getting pretty addicted to it, I heard footsteps come into the kitchen and a hand ruffle my hair, 'morning kiddo, how are the nerves so far?', I sighed, pouring ice into the cups, 'there's a lot of them, Warren will probably have to babysit me all day but I'm trying to not ruin his day by calming myself a little'. 

He sat down, 'you're not going to ruin his day and the nerves will die down once you're there I promise', I nodded, finishing up the coffees and throwing the tops on, my phone dinged again and Warren was outside, I said a quick goodbye to Simpson then headed to the car. 

I was greeted with a bright smile from Warren who had been my life savior this past month, I handed him his coffee as I closed the door, we started driving, 'you have nothing to be nervous about, I'm gonna walk you to your main building and I'm gonna try to see you every time you leave a class'. 

I sighed, shaking my head, 'you deserve to enjoy your first day, and it's quite pathetic that I can't go five minutes alone without getting nervous', he glared at me, 'you don't just get nervous, you have panic attacks, and they are perfectly normal for a person who has pretty much spent 18 years completely isolated', I smiled at him. 

'I'm gonna try to talk to someone today, make a friend in one of my classes so you have time to do things', 'I think that's a great idea, but remember if you don't want to you don't have to talk to anyone, one small text and I'll be there in seconds', 'thank you, that means a lot', the rest of the ride was quiet, the dim music in the back being enough of a noise for both of us. 

Soon we parked in the large parking lot filled with people each going in different directions, my breathing hitched in my throat a little but I remembered what I'd learned and started taking slow steady breaths, we exited the car and Warren stood by my side, threading his fingers in mine, it was now a regular thing we did that helped me through being in crowds. 

As we started walking my mind went back to the first time I had a panic attack, it was three days after Warren had left to go back to school and I needed to go to the market, it was a busy day and I remembered staring petrified at the large doors containing crowds of people inside them, I ran away and hid behind a building, collapsing onto the dirty floor and almost passing out from my irregular breathing, I remembered how my hands went numb and I barely got to my phone to call Warren, I told him how I couldn't breathe and how I felt cold and shaky and how I felt like I was going to die, he talked me through calming down and I did. 

I remember shakily walking home with him still on the phone, the place I was in right now wasn't great but it felt better because he was there, slowly taking the coldness of my hand away with his warm one. 

We stopped in front of building and he pulled me into a tight hug, 'you are going to be okay', he pulled away, holding my face with hands and kissing the top of my head, he made me look into his eyes, 'I'm going to be okay', I hesitantly cracked a smile, I started walking into the building and he waited until I was out of sight to walk away, giving me a quick wave as he rushed off. 

I sighed, walking around a bit trying to find my class, I stopped in the middle of a hallway, a little panicked I was going to be late I pulled out my phone and checked my schedule to make sure I remembered the number correctly.