Chapter Twenty-four

Charles's POV:

I walked into the kitchen, my smile having a hard time dying down, I lightly squeezed Alex's shoulder as I passed by him and he gave me a weird smile, I was pouring myself some cereal and I felt his eyes boring into my back, 'you are awfully cheery this morning', I turned around, bowl in hand, and sat next to him, 'am I not like this every morning?', he shook his head, 'definitely not', I hummed, stuffing some food into my mouth. 

He quietly sipped his coffee, continuing to analyze every detail of my face, probably looking for the same thing I was, the cause to this jolt of happiness, 'are you sure you're alright?', I chuckled, 'is being happy really abnormal around here?', he nodded, a "hell yeah" expression on his face, 'well that's bound to change with me around', he gave me a small smile and shrugged. 

Soon we weren't alone as king Lucius walked into the kitchen, the man somehow always looked serious and his face was exhausting to look at, but I glanced him a smile anyways, he poured himself a coffee, only giving both of us a slight nod as a greeting, he sat down, pulling the paper sitting on the counter, he read it without a word for a couple of minutes and Alex and I exchanged awkward looks. 

Once it seemed he was done, he put it aside and looked up straight to me, 'Charles, Al informed me this morning that she went into town to do some light shopping and would like you to join her at the Weston café for a meeting with her friends', 'of course, your majesty, I'll head out once I'm done with breakfast', he hummed, standing up, not giving an ounce of attention to Alex, then exiting, Alex didn't seem to mind but questions started pestering my mind. 

'you guys don't seem that close even though you've been raised here', he looked into my eyes, I could see a flash of pain in his eyes, almost like I had brought up a traumatic memory, he masked it with a nonchalant smile though, 'the only person that man likes is himself, and for what, he's the most boring, completely void shell of a human you'll ever meet', I was brought back as Alex had never been this spiteful towards anyone, 'ouch, harsh much?', he shrugged, 'truth hurts, Charles', I frowned slightly in thought. 

He looked completely relaxed as he stood up, 'well I've got a bunch of shit to do to feel productive, see ya later', he strutted out of the kitchen, and I found myself staring at the door a little longer after he left, I guess I should add that to the list of weird things that upset Alexander that I could pry more into.

Alexander's POV:

I was sitting in the garden, sketching and listening to music when I was interrupted, my music being cut off by an obnoxious ring, I unplugged my headphones and answered the phone, 'I'm bored, I'm driving, and I felt like calling you, is that okay?', I let out a soft chuckle at the straightforward gesture, 'when have I ever hung up on you?', 'uhm actually there was that one time when I couldn't sleep', 'yeah, it was three in the morning and I very much could sleep', I could hear him do one of those fake sad sighs. 

'isn't it dangerous to use the phone while you're driving?', 'not if you're trying to die, no, plus the streets here are practically child proofed', I scoffed at his first remark, I bit my lip, nervous to ask the question I wanted to, 'is it nice?', 'what, the street?', I chuckled slightly, 'no, driving', 'you've never driven a car?', his tone seemed really shocked and I felt a bit of embarrassment, 'I've never been in a car at all', he was quiet for a while, I think he felt guilty for asking like that. 

'I have to take you for a drive when I get back', 'no leaving the castle, remember?', 'fuck it, a drive in the back garden, the garage, anything', a wide smile spread on my face, ridiculous excitement filling my body, 'okay, we'll take a drive', I couldn't see him but I was sure he was smiling smugly, 'I can practically hear it', 'oh come on!', I chuckled at his annoyance, 'I'll see you when you get back', 'don't leave me please I'm about to be bombarded by Alana's friends who are not that subtle about flirting with me and making me extremely uncomfortable', I bit back a laugh, 'sucks to be you, bye', I could hear him about to complain when I hung up, rolling my eyes at the stream of texts following it. 

'you just shattered my heart', 'it's not even worth existing anymore', 'I'm gonna crash and die and you're gonna regret hanging up', 'I'll pick you a nice casket <3', we bickered for a bit before he had to "go into the battlefield", as he phrased it himself, I just laughed, going back to sketching. 

A bit went by and I was stopped by a ding again, I checked and it was a text, this time not from Charles, 'you'll never guess what happened, I'm working right now cause I had to take two shifts today', I waited as I knew Warren liked to stretch telling stories like this, 'I just took a tables order and apparently your bae is not that fond of me, never thought looks could kill until now', I was confused and had no clue what he was talking about. 

'my bae?, elaborate please', 'your prince charming from the ball?, he's here with his misses and he does not like me, don't know why honestly', 'Charles is at the café you work at?, hell of a small world, and don't worry, he doesn't hate you, he's just dreading being around people', I found myself biting my nails, the thought of them both being in the same room making me anxious for a reason I couldn't make out. 

'the conversation's so awkward, one girl was trying to hit on him and his girl just flashed everyone the ring, they all had to collect themselves and remember that she was still there, that's gotta hurt', 'oh god I feel bad for him', 'everyone that can hear them does', we chatted a little, he kept giving me the awkwardness of the interaction through texts, for a second I hesitated about texting Charles anything to help him escape, but I felt guilty about interrupting his time with Al and I opted not to, continuing to sit in the garden until the sun set almost completely, I headed inside, figuring Charles would be back by now, and I was right as we bumped into each other at the bottom of the stairs.

Charles's POV:

'good, you're here, car is parked out back in the garden', he bit his lip, his eyes lighting up, 'so you didn't forget?', I shook my head, 'of course not, I've been looking forward to it all day', he looked a bit flushed as I grabbed his arm and we headed to the garden, once we got outside he stared at the car looking a little anxious, 'this is the quite literally the safest place I could drive in, don't worry', he sighed, a smile forming on his face. 

I let go of his arm and he rushed to it, opening the door and going in, the door on his side closed as I opened mine and slid in, he looked like a little kid jumping in his seat, I fought back a smile, I turned the key and started the engine, I started driving, not too slow, not too fast, 'this is pretty lame, isn't it?', he was quick to shake his head, 'strange, but definitely not lame'. 

I smirked, 'well I could make it a little more exciting', I clicked a button and I watched his confused face turn stunned as the roof of the car closed back, letting the air and all our surroundings become clear, he continued to look amazed and my heart was a whole mash of emotions that I couldn't figure out. 

'I'll drive carefully and you can stand up', he gave me a "no freaking way" look and I nodded, I slowed down just a little, he quickly stood up, sitting on the neck of the chair, I turned the music on, turning up the volume, he threw his head back, staring up at the sky, his curls messily scattered across his face, 'it's so pretty', he was referring to the sky and the stars reflecting off of his eyes and perfectly freckled face, 'yeah it is', my attention was on him though, my eyes not having a choice to look at anything else in his presence, his face radiating as he smiled warmly, every little detail of his skin catching the moonlight just right making him glow like an angel. 

I slowly stopped, he didn't seem bothered, continuing to get lost in the sky, I joined him, sitting at the top of the seat, giving myself an excuse to be closer to him, he turned to me briefly, his smile not wavering, 'you are the best person I've ever known, truly', my heart went wild and I stuttered a thank you, losing all abilities to function at his words, my hand crawled closer to his, I wanted to hold it but something held me back, so I just pressed it slightly against his, to my surprise his pinky made its way on top of mine, he hooked them together, a blush rose to both our cheeks but we refused to the look each other in the eye, so we both stared at the star studded sky, for what felt like infinity, and I really hoped it was.