Chapter Twenty-nine

Alexander's POV:

I woke up, dread filling every ounce of my body, I sighed, a small buzz caused me to turn my attention to my phone, the dread washing away before I even got the chance to check who it was, I knew who it was, I smiled, unlocking my phone, 'good morning, I miss you so so so much, I'm out Christmas shopping rn and I am miserable without you', 'you're being dramatic, I saw you last night.., but I miss you too, also how the hell do you always time your good morning messages right when I wake up, are you spying on me?'. 

I bit my lip as he typed, 'yes, you have cameras all over your room', 'well its good that I change in my closet then', 'I'm installing some in there soon', I chuckled, 'good to know I'm dating a perv', 'you get what you signed up for ;)'. 

I placed my phone back on the table, the unpleasant feeling returning as my brain was no longer distracted with anything, I glanced at my closet, the packed suitcase peeking from under the shelf it was sloppily hiding under, the sight of it brought me back to reality, the reality that I was going to leave for good, that tonight was gonna be the last night I get to see him, that very soon, I'll have to learn what a broken heart truly feels like. 

I stood up, walking towards the bathroom and quickly washing up, I headed to my workshop, hesitating at the door, it looked sad, the sunlight coming from the window had nothing to reflect on as it was now empty, most of my painting packed and laying still against the wall, ready for the new chapter of their lives somewhere completely new, the only one remaining was on the desk, I simply stared at it. 

I walked towards the drawers and pulled out some beige wrapping paper, I sat down at the desk, carefully wrapping it, feeling overwhelmed as I watched it disappear behind the paper, I fought back tears, as I had promised myself not to cry today, I held it under my arm and went back in my room, obsessing over how to place it on the table a little longer than necessary. 

I grabbed my journal and headed downstairs, as I entered the living room I felt a warmth engulf my body, I found my eyes looking around to every detail around, I didn't want to miss this place, but the memories attached to it made it special, I sat down on the couch, fiddling with the pen a little before beginning to write, and once I started, it was impossible to stop. 

I had so many things I wanted to say that I couldn't say to his face, yet they couldn't be left unsaid, I had to live with the feeling of abandonment, the feeling of not knowing why, and I never wanted him to feel like that, though I knew, nothing I could write can make the pain less, I still wanted to try, because I loved him with every part of me, and I desperately needed him to know that.

After a brief glance down the hallway, I felt his fingers tangle through mine, I smiled, soon we got to my bedroom door and I felt my chest close up, it didn't feel real, none of this felt real, we stopped, our bodies close, I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tighter than I ever have, biting my lip to hold back from crying, I took in the scent of his body and every little detail on his face. 

'I love you, Charles', he pulled away, cupping my cheek, 'I love you too, Alex', his grin didn't waver for a second as his eyes looked deeply into mine, 'I'll see you tomorrow', he softly kissed my cheek, then he started walking away, and I wanted to stop him, but I held myself back, making sure to wait until he got to the end, to soak up every second I could see him, and to watch him stop at the end, just for a second, turning back and signing 'I love you', we had developed this uncreative way of saying I love you to make it easier to say in case anyone was listening, and in two weeks it had become a habit. 

My hand pushed the handle of the door down and I breathed in deeply, walking in and closing the door behind me, I walked towards my closet and pulled out the bags, placing them closer to the door, I noticed my journal still sitting on my bedside table, I grabbed it, ripping the last page out, then shoving the notebook into my backpack, I neatly folded the note, placing it inside the already prepared envelope, then next to the wrapped painting. 

My steps were heavy as I flopped down on the bed, I was supposed to catch sleep as I had a long drive ahead of me, but I already knew I wasn't going to, every time I closed my eyes, I felt haunted by the idea of the outside, what had previously been a living condition, slowly turned to a fear over the years, the thought of having to live a normal life not having anywhere to fit in the puzzle that was my brain. 

So I laid there, in the dark, for a few hours, attempting to think over every detail and possibility, until a soft knock against the door reminded me I was out of time, I stood up, and opened the door, Simpson and I exchanging dry smiles as we both weren't exactly in a happy state. 

We both carried a couple of bags and I looked back for a bit at the now hauntingly empty room, I closed the door behind us as we walked, when we got to the garage it felt good to see a familiar face as Warren took the bags I was carrying and placed them in the trunk, closing it once they were all in there, he respectfully went inside the car, giving us a moment to say a brief goodbye. 

He pulled me into a hug, patting my back reassuringly, 'I love you pops, please don't take too long', he pulled away, a soft smile on his face, 'I love you too son, and I promise you I won't', I nodded, walking to the door and getting in. 

Warren gave me a look asking if I was ready, 'yeah, drive please', I needed to get out of there before I changed my mind, so he drove, and I lent my head against the window, and I watched as we left through the servants exit, for once, seeing things I had never seen before, the feeling of freshness distracting from pain for just a second, but not long enough, it came back and this time I didn't want to fight back the tears, so they streamed down silently, the sound of the rain dripping against the car compensating for their silence. 

A warm hand wrapped around mine, and I sighed, squeezing it as a way of saying thank you without having to use my words. 

After about thirty minutes of watching the empty streets and closed stores, we stopped in front of a rustic looking house, I lifted my head up and turned to Warren he shrugged, 'Simpson asked me to drop you off here before we continue on the road, didn't say what it was', I nodded.

I felt a certain energy radiating off of the house, I opened the car door, 'I'll be back soon, hopefully', I sighed, lifting up my hoodie over my head and walking up to the front, I stood at the door, unsure if I should knock at this strange hour of the night, but I did, and nothing could've prepared me for the sight of who opened the door.