Chapter 38: Doubts

It's Thursday evening now.

Seven and Nick didn't communicate about anything that occurred yesterday. Instead, both of them went with their day, doing their own thing at work. Seven had left the office to go pick up his lunch and Nicks.

Nicolas sat alone in his office, filling out paperwork, and hearing the door open.

"You wanted to speak to me." Joseph's voice sounded in the office.

Right.

Nicolas had mentioned yesterday that he was going to speak about Seven's paycheck. He had messaged his fathers' assistant to notify him about an urgency to meet. Though, Nick didn't even bring it up with Seven. Usually, he'd ask the assistant to set the meeting up, but he felt like he should be the one to set this one up.

Nicolas gazed up from his paperwork, seeing the older man standing in front of him. Nicolas inhaled deeply, standing up from his desk and popping his cramped fingers, "Evening, father."

"What's the urgency?"

Nicolas's lips parted, nodding to his dad, "I want to ask for you not to cut my assistant's paycheck."

The chairman scoffed, crossing his arms, "Is this the urgency?" He shook his head, "Nicolas, this isn't something new. I've mentioned before that every meeting is valuable. I should've fired him instead!"

"Dad-"

"Nick, if this was the urgency that you wanted to speak about, then I'm leaving-"

Nicolas licked his lips, swallowing down the anxiety that he felt, "He's MY assistant. At least let me handle what percentage gets cut off. You even told me that my assistants are under MY control and orders."

Joseph stood at his spot, narrowing his brown eyes at his son, "Why do you care so much? This wouldn't be the first time I cut your assistant's paycheck..." he eyed him as if he were looking for something, "Have you two gotten close?"

Nicolas's eyes widen at the comment. It was unexpected to hear, and Nick didn't know how to respond. Thankfully, Joseph shrugged it off, "Not my business so long as he doesn't corrupt the company, Nicolas." He fixed his black tie, looking around the room, "Handle the paycheck cut then. Make sure he doesn't walk out again."

Nicolas smiled softly, nodding to his father, "Thank you, Mr. Anderson."

The room went silent as the chairman investigated the office, walking around with his hands behind his back, "Is that all then?"

Nicolas's smile faded, clearing his throat, as he eyed the flooring. His heart pounded against his chest, realizing what topic of conversation he could bring up right now.

"About the marriage-"

"What about it? Did your date with Victoria turn out well yesterday?" Joseph interrupted.

Nicolas frowned, knowing that he had ditched it. Ditched it to go make sure his feelings were clear to Seven. Though, he remembered what Seven said about it not meaning anything unless the wedding gets changed. Nicolas gulped once more before looking up from the floor, staring at his dad, "I don't want to get married for the company."

Joseph stopped walking, keeping his eyes on a painting on the wall. Nicolas felt his shoulders rise, the tension in his body being released after saying that loud and clear.

"Nick," Joseph responded calmly. Nicolas raised an eyebrow, eager to know the response from his father. The chairman's hands gripped each other, turning around to face his son, "If you refuse to follow my orders, you will be fired and lose all positionality you have under the company."

And just like that.

The weight dropped back onto his shoulders. He exhaled deeply as if he were holding his breath. The eye contact that he and his father had for that few seconds were intense... as if Joseph were looking down on him.

"Dad-"

"Listen to me, boy," he walked towards Nick slowly, keeping a calm posture with his chin held high, "You won't take any part in this company if you refuse that marriage, do you understand me?"

Nicolas was left speechless at the response. He stood silently, eyeing his father, hoping to see some sort of guilt for intimidating his son like that. But of course, all Nick got was a glare. Joseph shook his head and walked out of the office, leaving Nicolas to his trembling body. Nick didn't feel it, but he leaned back, almost tripping at the weight that his weakened legs couldn't carry. He finally blinked, feeling water build up in his eyes as he leaned back onto his desk to hold himself up.

The door opened again, and Seven walked in with two plastic bags that carried their lunch, "I'm back, Mr. Anderson," he softly notified, closing the door, "I saw your father walk down the hall, did he see you?"

Seven turned around finally, seeing Nicolas in a weakened state as if his heart were stolen from him. Sevens' eyes widened at the unexpected view, setting their lunch on the floor and rushing to Nick, "Are you okay?" he asked with worry in his tone. He grabbed the CEO's hand, checking his pulse, "Christ, you look like you saw a ghost." He let go of Nicolas's hand, grabbing his phone from his pocket, "We need to get you to the hospital. You're heating up and your heart is pounding like crazy. Did you eat breakfast at all? I thought you said you did-"

"Seven..." Nicolas softly spoke.

"I should've brought you breakfast with your coffee. I should've been more thoughtful of you-" He dialed a number on the phone, only to be grabbed by Nicolas, stopping him.

"Seven." Nicolas softly spoke.

Seven gulped, eyeing Nicolas. The two stood close to each other. Sevens emerald eyes shined beneath the light and Nicolas tilted his head slightly, frowning at the assistant, "I told my father about me not wanting to marry."

Seven's lips separated, his eyes darting down to Nick's lips as he spoke those words, "You what?" he softly responded.

Nicolas smiled softly, shaking his head, "He said if I don't go through with the wedding... he'll fire me and I won't have anything to do with the company anymore."

Seven frowned, his shoulders dropping at the comment. Nicolas let go of the assistant's wrist, leaning back to the desk. He sighed deeply, throwing his head back and looking at the ceiling, "I would do it... believe me, Seven... I would drop everything to be with you."

"Nicolas-"

"This was my mom's company first believe it or not. Having no part in it just feels like I'm losing the last thing that belonged to her."

Seven swallowed, furrowing his eyebrows while staring at the CEO who was limp in front of him, "I'm sorry, Nick."

He wanted to say more.

They both did.

Nicolas wanted to say that he will drop the company for Seven.

Seven wanted to say that he will stand by Nick in whatever choice he makes.

Though, the atmosphere of the room was bitter.

Nicolas knew that he couldn't drop the company that his mother owned and Seven knew that staying beside Nick will only pain him.