Chapter 27: Closer than you think pt. i

The drive to the restaurant was soundless. Nicolas focused on the road while Seven focused on emailing WebBaze. The two could've easily said something during the ride, but they each had something going on in their heads.

Entering the restaurant was no different. The two kept their mouths shut, but the chattering of other customers in the building filled that silence that the associates were used to. Nicolas led Seven to a table with a red cloth underneath the empty plates and utensils. The restaurant smelled of fresh bread and steak. The sweet scent flowed in the air, making stomachs grumble. Alongside the smell, orchestra music played on the intercom putting the rich aura into play. Taking a seat, a cold wind hit the assistant making him stare up and see the beige ceiling with a fan underneath him.

"We can move if you're too cold," Nicolas commented, looking at the menu in front of him. Seven shook his head, clearing his throat, "I'm fine."

Seven sat next to Nicolas with the fan directly under him. He rubbed his hands together underneath the wooden table as he stared at the menu that was set in front of him. He didn't like the silence at this point. In the car, it was different - the two were focused on their own thing, but they were free from distractions. It was just uncomfortable now.

"Your future wife seems nice, dropping by like that." Seven stated, his eyes on the menu. He didn't know what else to bring up, and the topic of Victoria Henderson was circling in his head.

Nick scoffed at the statement, turning the page of the menu, "You're hilarious."

"What'd you guys talk about?"

"None of your concern, Mr. Ochoa." Nicolas turned to the last page of the menu.

Seven frowned at the answer. He wanted something that he could 'work' with for a conversation. He tilted his head, leaning closer to the table, "What did you want to tell me at the office?"

Nicolas' eyes widened at the question. His lips buried into his mouth as his eyes moved away from the menu. He didn't know what to reply with, but he surely didn't want to confess his feelings at the restaurant. After meeting with Victoria, his 'wanting' to confess disappeared and was replaced with a 'wanting' to get over it. The CEO rubbed his neck, focusing on the menu again, "Nothing important."

The response irritated Seven. It reminded him of how Nick responded to Marcel, annoying him for 'lying'. Seven turned his attention to him, squinting, "Nothing important?"

Nick dropped the menu on the table, turning to his assistant, "Nothing important." he reassured.

Seven didn't expect Nick to turn as well. The two stared at each other for a few seconds, Seven noticing Nicolas' lips curve into a bit of a smile. The assistant's pale lips parted, about to say something before his boss interrupted him, "If you're wondering about something, you can ask me."

A lump grew in Seven's throat, clutching the menu in his hands, "You grabbed my hand and said my name," he softly spoke, keeping his eyes on the blue sapphire gems that were Nick's eyes.

Seven huffed, "I want to know what you wanted to tell me."

Nicolas felt his heart beating against his chest, wanting to lean into Ochoa and get a second kiss from him. Tell him. Though, two facts kept punching him in the gut: Victoria Henderson is the girl he's going to marry and Serene Ochoa didn't feel anything the night of the donation party.

He didn't know what to say at this point. His grin fell, and he turned around to the menu, "Ochoa," he finally said, "It doesn't matter."

Seven lifted an eyebrow at the sudden dramatic expression, tilting his head, keeping his eyes locked on the CEO, "Was it about WebBaze?" he guessed, "Or about your marriage?"

Nick sighed, pressing his tongue to his inner cheek, "Ochoa, don't get involved in the marriage, alright?" he turned to his assistant again, furrowing his eyebrows, "Forget about what happened at the office today. It was nothing important. In fact - I already forgot what I wanted to say." he sarcastically yelped, a bitter smile growing.

Seven's lower eyelid twitched at the response, confused. He pressed his lips together and rubbed his sweaty palms underneath the table again, "Mr. Anderson, I can tell you're frustrated with the decision-"

"It's not a big problem! Alright?" he blurted out, making Seven pull away from the table, "I'm fine with the marriage. Don't get concerned."

"Concerned?" Seven repeated, "I'm concerned about your well-being. Is that so wrong? I'm sure being pushed into marriage by your father is a much bigger problem than you're letting out-"

"Seven!" he shouted, banging the table, and making the utensils lose their position. Though, Nicolas didn't intend to yell so loud at the smaller male. Being asked about a marriage by the person that you're in love with can be infuriating. In his head, he wanted Seven to stop asking because even Nick didn't know what to respond with. Shouting at him was a reckless action the CEO took and from the look on the assistant's face, Nick immediately regretted it.

Serene's eyes grew at the unexpected reaction, flinching as the table moved. Nicolas clenched his teeth, his index finger tapping on the red cloth anxiously. Serene eyed Nick's hand, and back at his facial expression, feeling his heart drop. He wanted to look around at the others, feeling the other customers watching them with disbelief. The assistant's mouth went dry once his eyes went back to the glaring CEO's. His hands rubbed against each other again, leading to his right hand scratching the lower part of his palm. Seven didn't say anything but slowly felt his breathing becoming short as he turned away from Nick. The assistant's heart raced, his eyes glued on one part of the menu as he continued to scratch his hand.

A woman with red, shoulder-length hair, pulled out a chair in front of Nick, "Evening, Mr. Anderson. I'm Lauren Nelson." She looked at Seven who kept his eyes on the menu, "Who's this?" she asked.

Nicolas loosened his glare, turning his attention to the woman, "My assistant, Serene Ochoa."

The woman kept her gaze on Seven but still didn't receive a greeting from him. She shrugged it off and turned her concentration back to Nick.

"A friend of mine has notified me about you wanting to sponsor my family's company," Nicolas stated.

She nodded, "Indeed. My daughter has pleasure in playing the games your company makes. As well as my wife, who isn't much of a 'gamer', but she has convinced me to sponsor you."

"Lovely to know that your partner has enjoyed our video games," Nick responded, his hands interlocking each other as he grinned at her.

Lauren shifted her attention to Seven who sat quietly. She turned her head, and gave him a small smile, "What's the target audience that you want to attract exactly, Mr. Ochoa?"

He's been asked this question so many times by WebBaze. He knew the answer and how to answer it. A degree in English should be able to aid you in answering something like this. Though, something a degree in English doesn't help with is overcoming an anxiety attack.

Seven's heart pounded against his chest, his lips parting, still staring at the same spot on the menu. The question poked him like a stick to a cut, giving him discomfort in the middle of his brow. His breathing shortened, and pressure built up in his chest.

"Ochoa?" Nicolas uttered.

Seven gulped, feeling himself lose control over his breathing. He gazed up at the sponsor, seeing her pink-colored cheeks and hazel eyes staring at him. A hesitating grin appeared on his face, "Target audience? W- what? Like a shooting range?" he stuttered, his voice shaky.

Nicolas raised an eyebrow, narrowing his eyes at his assistant. Seven felt the confusion from his boss, his air pipes closing by the second, "I- I have to use the bathroom." He stood up, his legs trembling as the world around him went smaller as the voices grew louder. He left the table and walked towards the bathroom.

"Was that supposed to make me laugh?" Lauren asked, moving her gaze to the CEO.

Nicolas shook his head, a smile settled on his face, "Ochoa can get flustered easily. I had put him in a bad place before you arrived so I can only say the way he acted was due to my actions."

Lauren took a small gasp before smiling sweetly, "I see. In that case, should we continue the conversation?"