Chapter 35: Confession pt. i

Marcel had left before Nick could respond. He closed his eyes, alone, with the silence in the office. He was disappointed that Seven had told Marcel, but at the same time, it felt like a weight lifted off of his shoulders.

When Marcel spoke about the 'Nessa situation, it caught Nick by surprise. He had honestly forgotten about it. Nicolas couldn't even piece the puzzle together as to how it connected to the situation now.

In Junior year, Vanessa had taken Nick to the side to tell him that her father didn't want her dating him. At the time, Nicolas didn't know why she listened to her father. He didn't understand why she was so quick to decide to drop Nick.

The excuse that her parents didn't like Nick was getting dry by the time he and Vanessa separated. He ended up paranoid, going to Marcel's house and ranting about it to him.

After that, Nicolas dated more people, but he was still bothered by Vanessa. Despite dating girls, he would eye her in the hallway. The urge to speak to her again was strong, and it bothered him throughout high school.

Marcel knew this. He knew that Nicolas attempted to speak to her, but it was just awkward. It was like when he tried to communicate with her, the distance between them grew. Whether it was from arguments or the sudden change of comfort between them, the distance grew.

When Marcel connected that experience to what's happening now, Nicolas shrugged it off.

Of course, the situation with Vanessa was different. It was high school. Nicolas didn't even try to connect it to the situation now. Vanessa had the option to leave.

Nicolas believed that Seven didn't.

Everything that Seven has done and said has got him to this point. Even if Nicolas married Victoria, Seven wouldn't dare leave as his assistant.

At the least, that's what Nicolas believed.

Why would someone who tried hard to get to where he is now, give it all up due to a comfort problem?

Right.

Seven.

Nicolas took out his phone and pressed his assistant's contact.

Nicolas: Tomorrow is the meeting with WebBaze. Take the morning off tomorrow. I'll pick you up tomorrow at 6 pm.

...

Time flew by the next day. When Nicolas picked up his assistant, nothing was said. Seven avoided eye contact with his boss, not wanting to get scolded for telling Marcel about what had happened. Nicolas didn't even bother bringing it up. This meeting was too important to risk making his assistant uneasy.

It was 7 pm, and the two were suited up for the charity event that WebBaze hosted at an audio conference center. The moonlight complimented how well the building was structured, bushes sat against the fence, and sprinklers were positioned in the middle on the fresh, green lawn.

"Is this the place?" Nicolas asked, looking out of the Corvette.

Seven nodded, rubbing his hands together, "The CEO told me that the charity presentation finished at 5."

"They didn't want us to donate?" Nicolas asked, getting out of the vehicle. The assistant followed Nicolas, getting out of the car and staring at the building, feeling tense, "She just wanted to meet with us at the after party."

Nick stepped on the concrete, standing next to his assistant. He eyed him, seeing the freckles on his cheeks becoming visible under the shine of the moon. Staring at him, the CEO felt his shoulders drop, remembering what Marcel had said about acting on keeping Seven with him. He cleared his throat, shaking the thought, standing firmly on the idea that Seven will never leave the job.