Chapter 3: Late... or not?

Nicolas walked into the corporation's building, seeing it empty in the early morning. Janitors are usually the first to step into the building, so it was a surprise when his former assistant stopped him. "Ms. Henning? Why'd you come in today?"

Her breaths were heavy, as if she had been running a mile. Her hair was in a ponytail with no strands in her face. She handed Nicolas a warm coffee. "Sorry, Mr. Anderson, but I came in today to speak with your new assistant." She paused momentarily. "However, I couldn't find where she was."

The two former co-workers strolled toward the elevator as Nicolas sipped his coffee. "You mean he's late?"

"'He,' Sir? Did you choose Mr. Ochoa?"

The elevator closed in front of them. Ms. Henning was nervous, unable to stop fidgeting. "Yes, well, you were right. He did meet my expectations, but it seems to me that he isn't going to meet them if he's late already." Nicolas glanced at her, raising an eyebrow. "Are you alright this morning? You seem rushed."

"My job begins in a few minutes. I'm afraid I'll be late on my first day."

The elevator opened, and Nicolas rolled his eyes at his former assistant. The two strolled out. "Ms. Henning, please go. You shouldn't be here," he advised, "I'd hate to have you and my new assistant be late at a new job."

She chuckled as the elevator closed behind them. "Ochoa must have forgotten to come early, Sir. I trust you will give him a free pass today. It is his first day on the job."

Nicolas smiled. "Hopefully, your boss will be as easygoing as I."

She chuckled again. "Here's hoping, Mr.Anderson."

"Ms. Henning... your job."

She stopped as if the realization had hit her again. "What time is it?"

"Six thirty-seven," Nicolas responded, walking toward his office.

She sobbed jokingly. "Right. Thanks for everything." She rushed towards the elevator as Nicolas opened his office's waiting room door.

"Good morning, Mr. Anderson," a soft voice sounded.

What the hell? Nicolas thought as the door behind him closed. "You're here?"

Serene rested on a chair, gripping a cup of coffee. He wore an outfit similar to the interview. "Of course, I'm here. You told me last night to come at six."

Nicolas grabbed the keys that opened the door to his office with Serene standing behind him. "My old assistant ran into me telling me you were late."

Serene nervously chuckled. "I guess she forgot to check your waiting room, huh?"

"She didn't forget, Mr. Ochoa." Nicolas walked toward his desk, feeling the temperature drop in his office. He set his suitcase on the desk and stepped behind, taking a seat on his chair. "My waiting room is locked every morning. How did you enter?"

Serene glanced at the coffee that his boss held, licking his lips. "Well, if your office is closed in the morning, why did you tell me to have a coffee ready for you at your desk?"

Nicolas smiled, leaning back on the chair. "Are you questioning my orders?"

"N—no, Sir! I was just wondering what you meant, so maybe next time, I won't barge in."

Nicolas nodded, noticing the anxious aura surrounding his new co-worker. "Hm. I meant to say to be ready with a coffee for when I come in."

Serene nodded as if acknowledging the restated order.

"So." Nick continued. "How did you get inside my office?"

"I asked one of the janitors. I was going to put the coffee on your desk, but the janitors said that only you have the keys to your office."

Nick nodded again. "And that is correct."

Serene cleared his throat as he looked down at his warm cup. "However, I can see you got your coffee. What do you suggest I do with this one?" he asked, standing straight.

Nicolas shrugged and turned on his computer. "It's all yours, Mr.Ochoa."

"Can I be excused for a quick moment then so that I can head back to the lounge? I like my coffee with a sweetness to it.

Nicolas scoffed, squinting at the man standing before him. "Wow. I'm surprised you'd ask such a careless question. As my assistant, you have many responsibilities to attend to. Now, perhaps on your lunch break, you may go."

Serene's eyes narrowed, staring at the boss that laughed at the request. "Understood."

"It's too soon, but my father is hosting a formal party next week. I want you to email some organizations and convince them to come."

"Yes, Sir."

"I know it's your first day, but this is the priority for the next few days. Your job may be on the line if you do anything wrong." Nicolas started typing on his computer, reviewing emails and notices on his calendar. "I suggest important organizations. Companies that are willing to donate a few dollars to our business."

"Yes, Sir."

Nicolas reached into his bottom drawer and pulled out the newest iPhone. He turned it on and watched it reboot. "This phone will be your work phone. Your email and your work number are set. There are also important contacts saved in your contact list. I suggest using this phone for any work-related issues. Not personal." Nicolas handed it to him and stared into his assistant's eyes as the sun shone on them. "If I see any family members on there, Mr. Ochoa, I will more than like to message them a nice fuck off to them."

Serene's eyes widened at the warning, not expecting his boss to use foul language during work hours. "Understood, Sir."

"Go ahead and start emailing the organizations about the party. If you need anything, just ask."