Chapter 37: Confession pt. iii

Seven sat back down on the sofa in the office, feeling Nicolas eye him. His throat numbed, unable to swallow down his sorrow. The assistant blinked a few times, drying the water in his eyes that were wanting to race down his face.

Nicolas didn't hear what he said when he turned around, so it was only expected that Nicolas stood in his spot, waiting for a response...

Seven didn't think a confession could hurt so much until now.

The pain of knowing that the feeling was mutual, but nothing being done about the wedding was terrible. Seven felt his chest tighten as he cleared his throat and continued to his work in front of him. His hand's on top of the laptop, putting every force in his body to not eye the CEO. The clacking noise of typing started filling the silence in the room.

Nicolas frowned, seeing the assistant neglect his confession and continue with his work. He sighed, turning his head slightly while keeping his eyes on the assistant. His chestnut-colored hair shined beneath the light while the screen of the laptop reflected on Seven's freckled, blushed face.

The CEO wanted to ask if he heard the confession, but seeing how the assistant kept a steady pose on the couch, focused on his work, Nick didn't bother. He shook his head, breaking the eye contact and walking back to his desk.

The second Nicolas turned his back to Seven, the assistant eyed him quickly, his lips parting, wanting to say something but quickly stopped himself. He swallowed down his words and watched the CEO organize his desk in front of him. Seven's hands were shaking slightly, causing him to form them into a fist, allowing the pressure to ease the intensity.

Nicolas grabbed his phone that was vibrating beside him.  He viewed the screen, seeing a message from Victoria.

Victoria: Are you going to meet me at the Ocean bar for the date your father set up?

Nicolas's thumbs hovered over the screen, reading the message, not knowing how to respond. He was about to answer before Victoria sent another message.

Victoria: You don't have to come. Remember you don't have to listen to your father. Do what you want. :)

Nicolas sighed, dropping his shoulders, and eyeing Seven again. He sat silently, his attention on the computer screen. Nicolas smiled softly, messaging the woman back.

.....

It was now 10 at night and Seven was lying on the sofa of his apartment. After departing the office, the two didn't say anything to each other. Seven drove back to his apartment, feeling like he lost everything. It was a dreading feeling.

His shoulders lowered on the sofa, hugging himself as he stared at the ceiling. His stomach turned as he kept repeating the confession in his head, but along with that feeling, he felt pressure on his chest, wanting to throw up knowing that Nicolas was out on the date with Victoria.

The doorbell rang, grabbing Seven out of his mind place, standing up from the couch. He walked towards the front door, wondering who would be outside his door at such a late hour. He grabbed the doorknob, turned it, and opened the door.

His eyes widened at who stood in front of him.

"Nick?" he softly spoke, seeing the CEO with a box of pizza. He wore grey sweats with a black tee, smiling lightly at the assistant.

"What are you doing here?" Seven asked, looking at the casual outfit that the CEO wore.

"To see you."

Seven's lips parted, not expecting the thoughtful response. He cleared his throat, eyeing down to the floor, hiding his embarrassment, "I thought you had a date with Victoria."

"I canceled it," he sighed happily, tilting his head slightly, "Can I come in?" he asked calmly, his voice soft and kind.

Seven gazed up at him, nodding as he stepped to the side. Nicolas walked in, setting the pizza box on the kitchen bar.

Nicolas closed his hands, his legs trembling underneath him. His stomach grew hot, looking down at the pizza box, and hearing the front door close.

"Mr. Anderson... I don't think this is very professional to ditch an event with your future w-"

Nicolas turned to him quickly, meeting his gaze, "I told her," he interrupted.

Seven's eyes enlarged at the sudden comment, "Told... her what?"

"When I was out for the weekend... I told her about you... about my feelings for you."

The two stood near the kitchen. Seven slowly hid his pale hands in the pockets of his maroon jacket, "Why did you do that?" he asked softly.

"Seven," Nicolas stepped forward, only for the assistant to step back. Nick stopped, noticing the distance Seven was putting. The CEO sighed, looking down at the floor, "You didn't respond to my confession earlier today. I wanted... I wanted to make sure that you understood-"

"I understood, sir," Seven interrupted. Nicolas eyed him slowly, seeing his eyes avoiding any contact, "... but you must know that it doesn't matter." he softly replied.

Nicolas frowned, his chest tightening at the bitter response, ".... It doesn't?" his voice cracked.

Seven closed his eyes, hearing the sudden voice crack from the CEO who was supposed to keep a stoic personality ... a confident face. The assistant knew he had said something that probably pained the boss, and realizing it now... it sounded the same as when Nicolas was doing his food experiment— when Seven mentioned that night of the donation party didn't mean anything to him.

"Nick, I'm sorry," Seven finally answered, making eye contact with the CEO again, "You're getting married soon," he inhaled deeply, leaning into him a bit, "Unless you want to do something about the wedding, there's nothing much I can do."

It went silent for a few moments. The two stood quietly. Seven was waiting for a response or at the very least, to see a reaction from the CEO.

Though, Nicolas just nodded. He tried to swallow, only for it to cause his throat to tighten as if something were caught. He smiled, letting Seven know that he acknowledged his comment, "Take the pizza as an apology for my father's actions earlier today. I'll talk to him tomorrow about your paycheck."
He nodded at the assistant again, walking by him. The two brushed shoulders slightly, a breeze hitting both of them as the two parted again. Seven inhaled shakily, eyeing the ceiling again, hearing Nick's footsteps.

The front door opened, making Seven feel a sense of frustration builds inside of him.

Nick closed the front door, stepping down the porch, the wind breeze hitting his face, drying the water that was forming in his eyes.