Chapter 40: Salvation. pt. i

Nick and Seven had agreed on meeting at the office early morning since the CEO needed to run some quick errands.

Seven waited by the office door, seeing Nicolas grab some files from his desk. Usually, the weekends were out-of-office work, so the two didn't dress formally or in their usual business clothes. Nicolas picked up the final files, now holding a few packets with him. He turned around and began walking towards the door where Seven stood, "Alright, let's head out now."

Seven nodded, following Nicolas out of the office. The two walked into the elevator, Nicolas holding the elevator door for the assistant.

The door closed and the two stood in the little space.

"So, what exactly are the plans today, Mr. Anderson?" Seven asked, keeping his chin high as he stared at the elevator door.

"It was just to go to the cinema, but I had forgotten I had some files I needed to turn in to the front office." He gripped the files in between his pit and forearm, looking at his cellular device, "we'll just cancel the cinema date and drive around town if that's fine with you."

Seven smiled shyly, nodding, "It's fine with me."

The elevator door opened and Seven walked out first, followed by Nicolas. A woman in a suit with brown, wavy hair, stood behind the front desk, smiling at Nick, "Moring, Mr. Anderson."

"Morning," the CEO responded, setting the files on the desk, "Please send these files to my father before noon today."

The woman nodded, grabbing the files, "Of course. Will you be out of the building today?"

Nicolas smiled at her, putting his hands behind his back, "I will. If anyone asks for me, have them send a message to my assistant."

He walked out of the building before the woman could even respond. Seven nodded at her and continued to follow his boss.  The second Nick stepped out, feeling the cold breeze hit his skin, he let out a soft sigh, turning to his side to see his assistant standing beside him, "You ready?" he asked with a sort of mischievous tone in his voice.

Seven eyed him, tilting his head, "Downtown?"

Nick grinned, nodding, "To the car~" he turned down the sidewalk, shoving his phone into the pocket of his pants.

...

The first place they went to was a bookstore. Indie music played in the building as the two went to the back of the store to purchase a coffee. There weren't many people walking around the aisles, but the customers that were in the building were sitting at the tables. Seven and Nicolas waited at a bar table at the small coffee shop.

"Do you read in your free time?" Nicolas asked, leaning back on the stool, staring at the baristas while they prepared their coffees.

"I used to read chapter books during middle school, but I stopped after a while," he responded.

"Oh?"

The smell of coffee flooded the building and the indie music that played merged with the sound of the blending machine behind the counter of the shop.

"I kind of didn't have much time to read anymore, I guess. Though, I remember reading this one book about a small group of teens that were stuck in a puzzle." He shook his head, "Ah, I can't seem to remember. I remember loving the story though. There was a twist in the end, but I can't remember much about it."

Nicolas nodded, hearing Seven talks, "It's probably somewhere on these shelves then if you want to look for it."

Seven scoffed softly, "I don't think I have time to read something like that again anyways."