Chapter 26: Victoria Henderson

The rest of the night went regularly. Nick and Seven had small conversations about work and businesses. While Seven was composed, talking casually with no worry in his mind, Nicolas was stressed.

When Nick realized that he had feelings for the assistant, it was like having a demon and an angel on your shoulder giving you options to consider. The demon told him to fuck it and tell him right there and then about his feelings, but then the angel would remind him that Seven felt nothing toward him and he'd be risking the way their friendship is now. Nicolas wanted nothing but to do that. He hadn't felt in love since high school. When he realized where his emotions stood, he didn't know what the next step was. Whether he should go along with his day and not say a word, or tell Seven and risk it.

The next day went casually with no mention of the dinner date. Serene had been out of the office running errands and meeting up with company members to schedule meetings and such. Coming back around 4 o'clock wasn't any more active. He sat on the sofa at the office and stared at his laptop, working on convincing WebBaze. He rested his chin on his right palm while his other hand lay on the coffee table, his fingers tapping lightly near the laptop.

Nicolas sat behind his desk, sliding papers to the left side as he checked each one that he grabbed. Though he looked focused and exhausted with his eyes glued to his desk, he was actually dozing off. He didn't read any of the documents he was checking out since his mind was already filled with what had happened at the dinner event; the demon and the angel on his shoulders arguing back and forth about the situation.

"I can't do it," Seven groaned, breaking Nick's train of thought as he gazed up. Seven rubbed his face, leaning back onto the sofa.

Nicolas raised an eyebrow, hearing the pessimism escape the assistant's pink lips, "Regretting your resume that clearly stated you won several debating competitions during your college years?" he teased, a smirk appearing on his face.

Seven dropped his arms on the couch, staring at the ceiling as he heard the CEO, "In my defense, the majority of the opposing teams were confused about the topics we were debating about." Seven sat up straight, taking a harsh and quick sigh before standing up from the couch. He put his hands on his hips, leaning to the side, stretching his abdomen.

"Are you giving up then?" Nick asked, setting aside his work and standing up from his chair as well, keeping his blue eyes locked on Seven. The assistant picked up his cellular device from the coffee table, scrolling through his emails, "Giving up? Why would I be giving up?"

Nick smiled, stepping around his desk, his hands inside the pockets of his black jeans, "You said you couldn't do it." he mentioned.

Seven turned off his phone and peered up at Nick who was walking towards him, "It was me... motivating myself~" he convinced, giving him a slight nod as he put his phone back on the table.

Nicolas stopped walking, six feet away from his assistant. He tilted his head, pressing his dry lips together, "You motivate yourself by being negative?"

"I'd like to prove myself wrong once and a while," Serene answered. He kept his eyes locked on Nick for a few minutes and the two stood in silence with their eyes on each other. Seven felt a bit awkward when nothing was said for the moment, but Nicolas was completely on cloud 9. A grin grew on his face, his ocean-blue eyes admiring the freckles on the assistant's face. Finally, he took a step toward Seven without losing eye contact.

Seven's eyes widen at the sudden step that went without a word. He tilted his head slightly, his eyes dropping to the CEO's moving feet.

"I think you can do it without the negativity," Nick softly said.