Chapter 22: Every action has a reaction pt. i

The following morning went as usual: Seven entered the company building, feeling the cold breeze of the air conditioning hit the back of his thin neck. He gripped Nicolas' coffee, warming up his hands as he stepped toward the elevator. As the days passed, he noticed himself slowly getting comfortable with the rich environment. Before, he would walk inside the building and think all eyes were on him. Though perceiving it now, he ridiculed himself at how easily nervous he got. "Morning, Mr. Ochoa." the lady at the front desk greeted. Seven grinned at her as he pressed the 'up' button on the elevator's dashboard. The assistant sighed, gazing up at the screen that showed which floor the elevator was on, waiting for it to hit the '1st floor'.

"Hey, Ochoa!" a familiar voice called out. The voice was low but happy. Seven didn't turn around, knowing that the person that called out to him was running towards him. The elevator doors opened, and Seven stepped in as he heard the footsteps of the individual rushing in as well, standing next to him.

"Morning, Mr. Adams." Seven greeted. He pressed the button on the dashboard and started the elevator.

"Why so formal? I'm not your boss," Marcel laughed as the doors closed, "I heard you and Nick fucked up the meeting with WebBaze."

Seven's shoulders raised, a lump growing in his throat at the mention of the party. He had possibly tried his best to shrug it off the best he can, and he didn't even want to think about it. The reason for ditching the meeting was as embarrassing as it was, never mind missing the meeting with the chairman of the company.

Ochoa cleared his throat, "Yeah, we had a sort of issue during the event."

Marcel nodded, chuckling lightly, "Joseph completely blames it on you, Ochoa. Ha! I mean, talk about anxiety, huh? Can't believe you actually missed the meeting you arranged because you felt ill."

Seven let out a silent and careful sigh, keeping his eyes on the elevator's dashboard, "Social anxiety is a hell of a thing." he commented.

"Well, if it means anything, you shouldn't pressure yourself to convince WebBaze again."

This caught the assistant's attention. The tension on his shoulders left as he turned his head to face the taller lawyer that stood next to him, "But it's my job."

Marcel nodded, turning his head as well to face Seven, "I'm aware, but WebBaze is not a company that can easily be convinced after messing up the first meeting." It went silent for a bit, Marcel narrowing his eyes at the assistant, "Look, all I'm saying is don't make it your priority. Do the easy stuff first, you know? Let loose."

The elevator doors opened, and Marcel stepped out first. Serene followed, gazing down at his black shoes the followed behind Marcel's, "Respectfully, Marcel-"

 "Nah- Nah. Don't talk to me so formally. It creeps me out," he turned around slightly, eyeing Seven, "We're chill, right? I'm not your boss."

Seven looked up, seeing the reassuring smile on the lawyer's face, the corner of his cheeks wrinkling into the grin. Though... it wasn't like Serene talked formally because it was the right environment. He did it because it was just respectful.

"I'm not the type of person to take my job easy, Marcel. I have expectations for myself and I intend to meet those expectations. Applying for this job, I got myself into promising Mr. Anderson that I can meet his job demands and criteria." Seven walked past Marcel who had stopped walking. He opened the door to Nicolas' waiting room, holding it with a sly smile as he eyed Marcel to step in first.

Marcel scoffed, shaking his head, stepping into the waiting room, eyeing the assistant, "You sure do keep your promises, huh?"

As the two entered the waiting room, they heard shouting from inside Nicolas' office. "No, listen. You don't understand! Dad-"