Chapter Sixty-One

Spring Break - Freshman Year

HARRY

"This is nice." Riley says as she looks around.

"I'm actually a little surprised. Thought this sounded to good to be true, honestly." I say, setting our bags down.

Riley breathes out a laugh, "Thought we were getting scammed?"

"One hundred percent."

We explore the apartment we rented on Airbnb. Just a one bedroom in a decent neighborhood in NYC. Riley had flown in this time, and instead of staying on campus - where my roommate was staying as well - we decided to splurge on a place just for the two of us. Micah had sold my boat off last November, and I used most of the money to pay off the remaining medical bills, but had a little left that I had been planning to spend for something like this.

We had been able to spend all holiday break together in Wala Wala with her family, and I got to see my siblings. The past two and a half months felt so much longer than the first half of school, and we wouldn't get to see each other in person again until the beginning of June. On paper it didn't look like a long time in between, but in reality it felt like years passed before I got to touch her once again.

I come up behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist. The way her body instantly forms to mine makes my heart pick up. God, I've missed this. The sweet smell of cocoa butter fills my senses as I bend down to her ear, and ask, "Do you want to rest before we go out tonight and explore the city?"

She shakes her head, looking out the window in front of us, "No, I'm ready right now."

I chuckle, "You sure? That time difference is gonna hit around nine... ten."

She turns in my arms and looks up at me, eyes bright as ever, "I don't want to waste away my time here with you by resting. We need to make the most out of this trip, because we won't see each other until June-"

"Okay, okay, exploring it is." I rub my hands up and down her arms. I didn't want another reminder that our time was limited, yet again. The last few days of our winter break had been grey and dreary as our spell broke and we realized just how little time we had left together.

Those three weeks had been a dream. Not only was I getting to sleep next to her every night and wake up with her curled into my side each morning, but I got to be in the one place that had ever felt like home. Carol and Micah accepted me right back into the fold, and even Riley's father decided to take some time off for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to visit.

But once New Year's came into view, it hit us that we would have to go our separate ways again. At the time, we had no solid plans for spring break, and we tossed around the idea of getting together for my birthday, but it didn't pan out. I ended up spending my nineteenth birthday with Glenne and a few more of our friends and playing phone tag with Riley.

We spent the next couple of days spending all of our time outside on the streets of New York City. That very first night, Riley did indeed crash early, despite her stubbornness, but she quickly adjusted to the three hour time difference. We mostly ate from vendors on the street or cheaper cafes. There were even a few nights we cooked at home to save some money.

I told her more about the small group of people I hung out with at school. I told her how much she would like Glenne. She talked about the wild things Imani had gotten herself - and sometimes Riley - into on and off campus, the few students she was tutoring for money, and all the classes she liked and hated.

Once we exhausted all "catch-up" topics, we would talk aimlessly, or sometimes just walk around in peaceful silence. That was one of the things I loved most about Riley; her ability to start any conversation at any time and how easily she could fall into comfortable silence. Just being able to walk around, holding her hand, looking at all the lights surrounding us was enough for me.