Chapter Sixty-Nine

This is the 2nd chapter in a double update. Please make sure to read chapter 68 first!

Winter of Sophomore Year of College

RILEY

Coming back from winter break was hard. Anytime I had to leave Harry it was, but now it was getting worse. Not once did we get to see each other between summer and winter break. We both had to work over Thanksgiving, and money was a little tight after the summer we had. I was back to saving every penny for us, so that way we could go home between semesters.

Spending Christmas with Harry and my family had been amazing, but each time we said goodbye it got harder. Leaving him was like leaving myself. And the look in his eyes when it was time to leave... That was the worst of it all.

Something was going on with him. Something that he kept saying was nothing. He brushed off my questioning every time, and it was getting to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. One thing that I thought we didn't have to worry about was secrets. We told each other everything, but now I was feeling as if he didn't trust me anymore.

I knew this long distance decision was harder on him. Not only was he far from me, but he also lost something incredibly important to him. Without soccer, he didn't know what to do with himself. That had been his future, and I honestly believe that if he hadn't gotten injured he would've gone far. Maybe even professional.

He hid that pain well enough. I might've even thought that he had gotten past it, but since the start of the school year, it's been clear that that wasn't the case. I had no idea how to breach that topic. Whether I should even try. Surely, Harry would talk to me if he wanted. It wasn't like I didn't know what it was like for him to get hurt and lose his scholarship. I was there for the worst of it all. I wouldn't judge him for feeling whatever he was feeling. He had to know that.

This sudden doubt that existed within our relationship was one that I didn't know how to handle. I didn't know if it was a passing moment that shouldn't be made into a big deal, or something I should face head on. I wasn't sure if Harry could feel it growing between us. Things were better when we were in person, but not like they were over the summer.

I couldn't stop thinking about him and us, and it was distracting me from school. I almost missed an essay deadline, because my mind was so all over the place and had to stay up all night to finish it. My eyes could barely stay open in class right now, which was not good. Drafting was my hardest class, and took a lot of concentration.

My professor was up front, giving a lecture on something, pointing to a slide on her powerpoint. I tried to focus, but it's like my ears went numb. Sound faded in and out, my eyes blurred occasionally. I was just too tired. Maybe it would be best if I go back to my place and take a nap. I could skip my next class without much worry.

"Okay, everyone," Professor March clapped her hands together once, "your worksheets will be on the class portal. Remember, be creative."

Students started to pack up, filing out of the class one by one. I was slow, double checking to make sure I had everything before climbing down the stairs. I stopped, though, when my teacher called my name, "Riley, can I have a word with you before you leave?"

I nod and walk over, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, of course." She says reassuringly, "I'm not holding you up, am I?"

"No, I don't have another class for another hour."

"Good, I wanted to talk to you about an opportunity."

My spine straightens in interest, "An opportunity?"

Professor March continuers to pack up her stuff, "Yes, I hope you don't mind, but I've already submitted an application for you, as well as some of your work in my class. If you decide not to do it, that's totally fine, but the cutoff for applications was this Sunday."