Chapter Forty-One

RILEY

As we entered the steakhouse, I looked around. This was definitely the nicest restaurant I had ever set foot in. They even had a coat check where I gave them Harry's jacket to keep before showing us to the table. My hand was held tight in Harry's as we made our towards the back. His parents were seated against a window at a square four-person table. They stood when we arrived, paying more attention to Harry than me. They did give me a once over, seemingly approving of my parent-friendly dress, but that was it.

Right off the bat, it was awkward. They both had drinks in front of them, and when our waiter left with Harry's soft drink order - I was sticking with water - a thick silence surrounded us. My hands were in my lap, my eyes darting from my boyfriend to his parents. Harry wasn't going to start the conversation, that much was clear, so I dove in, "So did you enjoy the game today?"

His mom looked at me, smiling tightly, "Yes, it was good. Honey, you played wonderfully."

"Thanks."

More silence.

His dad cleared his throat, "I saw some scouts today. Anyone talking to you yet?"

"Uh, yeah." Harry answered, thanking the waiter when he came back with his coke.

"Well?" His dad pressed further.

Harry glanced at me before answering, "A few have talked to me, UCLA, Notre Dame, and Stanford seem the most interested."

"No Princeton? I'll give Marty a call to see what that's about-"

"I'm actually leaning towards Stanford."

His parents looked at him with furrowed brows. They were clearly displeased, but Harry didn't even blink. It was his mother that spoke to him first, "I thought you were set for Princeton?"

"Things have changed."

"Harry, don't do this just because you're pissed with us." His dad said, "Stanford is completely overrated, and you'll make better connections at an Ivy-"

"Dad, this isn't your decision to make." Harry gritted out, but before the tension filled conversation could continue, we were interrupted by our server, "Are you ready to order?"

Harry and I picked up our menus, as his parents rattled off their orders. I went for something fast and easy in case we needed to make an escape in the middle of dinner. If it continued like this, then there was no way we would last the whole time.

Our small respite ended when our waiter left to put in our orders. His dad started, "You can't be serious about derailing-"

"So, Riley," his mom interrupted, shooting him a warning glare, "you go to school with Harry?"

"Oh, uh, yes, since freshman year." I replied, a bit surprised that either of them acknowledged me. I was kind of thinking they might ignore me the whole dinner with the way it was going.

"When did you two get together?"

"Officially, December." Harry answered for me, resting his hand on my thigh, "But we've been together since the beginning of the school year."

"The beginning, huh?" His dad said, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Yeah, we were paired together for our senior project and started getting to know each other."

"You've known each other for years?"

"Yeah." I answered

"And only just started talking?"

I stared at him hard, "Is there something you would like to say, Mr. Styles?"

His father just looked at me, but I saw his mom try and change the subject, "Well, we're happy to meet you. What's your last name?"