26: Operation No- Sleep

Yikes, guys! I know this chapter is a few days late, but it's because I was really trying to write it alright! Please let me know what you think!

Remember to vote and comment!!

-Siobhan xx

*note from present siobhan as I'm editing: I can't believe how cringe and romantic this story is and it's kind of giving me second hand embarrassment but it's fine 😩😭

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
FIA

When the time rolled around for Cathy to leave, Fia still hadn't made a decision about Cathy paying for her education.

"Take the time you need, love. I'll be calling James. And I'll be back for visits. You're not applying until next year, aye?"

"Aye." Fia said. She and James had driven behind her to the Ferry station, where she was getting on the next boat.

"Well, then. I'll see you two soon. Watch yourselves, aye?"

Fia hugged Cathy goodbye, and went to hop in the passenger seat of the car. She thought she should give James a couple minutes with his mum alone.

She watched through the front windshield as he hugged his mum goodbye. She could tell he was holding back his tears. To him, it was another time he had to say goodbye to her.

Cathy turned to leave, waving one last time to Fia through the window, and Fia watched as James opened the car door and started up the car.

"You okay, James?"

"Yeah, I'm grand. I'm just going to miss her."

Fia smiled sympathetically, kissing his forehead. "She'll be back soon, and she'll call."

"I'm worried she won't though." He whispered, suddenly breaking down in tears. It was in that moment that Fia realized that no matter how much he loved his mum, it would be extremely hard for him to regain her trust. He'd always have this worry in him that Cathy would leave him again.

"It's going to be okay, James." Fia wrapped him in a hug, leaning over the car. She wasn't much of a comforter, as she was usually the one being comforted by him.

But Fia knew her heart ached for him.

Because it's one thing for your parents to be killed and to never see them again, but it's different when they CHOOSE to never see you again.

"You're mum.... she's changed, love. She's trying to be better." Fia said.

"I know... it's just... I can't help but worry."

Fia squeezed him harder, stroking his curly hair.

"All we can do is trust her."

James leaned away from Fia's arms and took a deep breath.