29: Safety During the Storm

Happy almost- friday! Spring break starts this weekend for me, and I am SO happy! My school is infested with covid, it's time for me to LEAVE haha.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

FIA

July rolled around and the girls (plus James, of course), spent every minute they could together before Clare and Michelle relocated to Belfast for school.

Mid July came around soon enough. It was extraordinarily rainy and stormy, which wasn't in favour for Fia.

She absolutely hated thunder storms. It had always been a fear of hers, but after the bombing, all loud noises frightened her, and thunder storms became a major fear of hers. Her Aunt and Uncle knew this, and tried to keep the lights on during a storm, knowing she would stay up that night.

One particular night, the power went out in most of Derry during an awful heat storm. The wind was blowing tree branches down, and one had hit a power line.

"Fia, love. Grab the emergency candles in the drawer please. We're going to need em all." Ella said, her and Sean frantically lighting them all.

"How long do you think it will be until the power is on?" Fia said. Her heart was racing- even if she knew it was just thunder, it was something that still scared her.

Ella slowly walked over to her shaking niece, who took the candles from her and wrapped her into a hug. "I don't know, love. But I'll tell you what- I'll stay up with you until it's over."

Fia didn't say anything out of embarrassment. She was almost eighteen years old, yet she needed her Aunt to stay up with her? I'm pathetic, she thought to herself.

"No." Fia said, plastering on a fake smile. "I think I'll actually be fine. I'll stay in the living room and maybe read a book or something. The candle light'll be enough." She lied, trying not to shed a tear. "I don't have to work tomorrow anyways, so it's not like I'll be tired in the morning."

"Alright, love, I-"

Suddenly, someone frantically knocked at the door. A loud crack from the thunder followed, and Fia's hands instinctively flew to her ears.

Ella sympathetically looked at her niece and sat beside her to comfort her. Sean got the door, assuming it was one of the neighbours.

"Oh, hello son!"

James was standing at the door, sopping wet.

"James?" Fia said, taking her hands off her ears and running towards him, grabbing his coat, wrapping him in a hug. "What are you doing here?"

He laughed, taking off his shoes. "I drove over figuring you'd need a sleepover buddy tonight."

Ella and Sean looked at each other. They were so thankful for this boy looking out for their niece.