Chapter 39: Thank you.

Seven comforted Nick for the rest of the day while working. The assistant chose to not talk about the topic of the marriage for fear that Nicolas might go into panic mode again at the thought of his father.

Friday morning was nothing different. Working and conversing as normal to have both their minds off of things. It was obvious that the two weren't happy with the marriage, but they both knew that there was an obstacle in the way of their relationship. Seven didn't want to pressure Nick to choose the company over him and Nick didn't want to choose Seven over his mother. It was frustrating on both ends.

Nicolas excused Seven for the evening, needing to go meet with another CEO for a dinner party.

....

Seven sat in his apartment, his legs crossed on the couch as he gazed at the television screen, going through the different films on the streaming service that he was on. He had a mug of coffee on the table in front of him, with a chocolate bar that he bought from the company's vending machine. Seven kept his eyes on the tv screen, seeing the various choices of films he could watch.

The doorbell rang, catching Seven's attention. He placed the remote on the table, near his coffee, standing up from the couch, "Coming!" he shouted, rolling up the sleeves of his green sweater. His slippers sounded as he walked towards the door.

Seven grabbed the doorknob and opened the front door, seeing Nick. It was dark out, and the cold breeze blew inside when the assistant opened the door.

"You're here again?" Seven asked, tilting his head. Nicolas wore another set of black sweats with a brown t-shirt. He smiled at Seven and nodded, "Is it getting annoying?"

"N-no... It's not," he muttered shyly stepping to the side of the door, telling Nicolas that he was welcomed, "What's the reason for coming this time?"

Nicolas walked in, shoving his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants, "I wanted to talk again," He sighed, letting out any exhaustion that he held inside, "About everything."

Seven closed the door and eyed his back, hearing Nicolas, "About... everything?"

Nick turned around, facing the assistant, "I want to get some stuff off my chest... before the marriage I mean..."

Seven frowned, being reminded once again about the dreading event. He gulped and walked past Nick, heading to the kitchen, "Have a seat then. I'll make your coffee."

Nicolas sat on a stool of the bar, seeing Seven grab a clean mug from the counter. Seven kept his back to the CEO, hearing silence. He expected Nick to start his rant, but it was just quiet for a few seconds.

"How did the dinner party with the CEO go?" Seven asked, breaking the silence.

"It went well. It wasn't business-related. Just catching up with an old friend."

Seven nodded, pressing his lips together out of nervousness. He prepared the coffee to the side while heating the water.

Nicolas let out a sigh again, "Seven, about yesterday... I forgot to tell you that your paycheck for the month won't be cut. I talked to my father, so you shouldn't worry about money."

Seven nodded again, not interested in the topic of his paycheck, but rather in the conversation that was eating Nick inside.

Seven leaned against the counter, his hands on the corner of the surface, still waiting for Nicolas to start the conversation.

"I don't want... to lose you," he finally spoke with his voice cracking.

Seven's lips parted, upon hearing the sentence. His chest ached as his breathing shortened.

"The night of the donation party, I didn't really feel anything for it. As you said, it was nothing more but a night," Nicolas gazed down at his hands, twirling his thumbs, "But I got to know you more as the days passed and I realized that I..." He inhaled deeply, loosening his shoulders, "I really do love you, Seven."

Seven exhaled softly, eyeing the coffee in front of him. It was as if the world around him had just turned around, making his stomach fly in circles. A soft smile crept on his face, hearing the confession again.

"I'm still struggling to decide whether leaving my mother's company behind is a good idea... and believe me when I say, I'm trying, okay?" Nicolas looked up at the assistant, seeing his back still, "I'm trying to remember what my mother would've wanted from me."

Seven stopped the boiling water, pouring it into the mug of coffee, "Nicolas," the assistant answered, turning around to the CEO, with the beverage in his hands, "Whatever you choose, I won't leave your side." he reassured.

Nicolas's eyes widened at the response, seeing Seven walks towards him, setting the warm, drink in front of him. He gazed down at the coffee that was placed in front of him, the fresh scent hitting his nose. His chest warmed as the pressure on his shoulders lifted after hearing the reassuring sentence.

The assistant lifted his hand a bit, eyeing the CEO's tanned hands sitting on the bar. He felt a sudden urge to hold it but stopped himself completely before passing the surface of the bar.

"Nicolas, can I ask something?" Seven shoved his hands into his pockets, leaning onto the counter, and saw Nicolas reach for the coffee mug.

"Go for it."

"What if... I talk to your father?"

Nicolas stopped completely before lifting the coffee mug, looking up at the assistant with a stern look, "Don't."

Seven tilted his head, seeing the sudden change of expression, "Why not?"

He leaned into Seven a bit, narrowing his eyes at the assistant, "Seven, my father... will not hesitate to fire you on the spot if you confront him about this."

"But Nick-"

"You said you'd stay by my side right?" he reminded, lowering his chin a bit, eyeing the emerald eyes, "Talking to him will only push me away from you... Please don't attempt to speak to him."

Seven frowned, looking to the corner of the counter, pouting almost, "... Okay." he murmured.

Nicolas smiled slightly, lifting his hand and poking at Seven's freckled cheeks, "Thank you, " he whispered, catching the assistant's attention.

Seven turned around, making eye contact with the CEO that sat in front of him, "For what?"

"For being my assistant."

Seven scoffed, shaking his head, "Well, if that's the reason, thank you for entrusting me with the job." he sarcastically responded.

Nicolas laughed shortly, placing his hands back on the coffee mug, "Okay, let me try again." He cleared his throat, and stood up from the stool, leaning into Seven's ear, "Thank you for caring about me."

His heart pounded against his chest, feeling the soft, warm breaths hit his ear. His lips parted, seeing Nicolas lean back again with a grin on his face.

"Well? Is that a better 'thank you'?" He sat back down, finally taking a sip of the coffee that was now cooler than before.

Seven swallowed, looking at the CEO's drink from the mug, "Yeah, that's better."

Nicolas grinned at the assistant, setting the coffee down again, "Are you busy tomorrow by chance?"

Seven shook his head first, "No, I'm not."

"Do you mind if we hang out tomorrow then?" Nicolas asked, tapping his index finger on the cup.

"What will we be doing exactly?"

Nicolas eyed the couch from across the room and tilted his head, "Uhmm.. movie day?" He eyed Seven and raised an eyebrow, "How about that?"