Chapter 13: Church

Chapter 13: Church

KAYLA'S POV

*A Few Months Later*

Tour ended and was really fun. I'm glad to be back home though. The first sunday that I went back to church, everyone acted like I had been gone for years. They all asked where I had gone and, even though I didn't like it, I lied.

I told them I went on a road trip with my boyfriend. I wasn't ready to announce I had an atheist, rockstar boyfriend. I didn't want people looking down on me, even though some of them kind of questioned my morals after I told them about my "road trip". I assured them nothing changed and that everything is fine. Now, they all want to meet him, so I have to convince Andy to come to church with me.

I went over to his house and knocked on the door. He opened it and smiled.

"Hey Kayla." He said, hugging me and kissing me.

"Hey, can I talk to you?"

"Of course." He said, letting me in. We walked to the couch and sat down. "What's on your mind?" He asked.

"Well, I have a question to ask you, but I'm kind of scared to ask it."

"You can ask me anything babe." He smiled.

"Okay, okay. How would you feel about coming to church with me tomorrow?" He sighed and chewed on his lip, looking down at a thread on his jeans, playing with it.

"You know church isn't really my thing Kayla."

"I know, I know. Just, this is really important to me Andy. Just once. Everyone wants to meet you."

"You told them about us?" He asked with wide eyes.

"Sort of. They wondered why I was gone for so long and I told them I went on a road trip with my boyfriend. They don't know about you being an atheist or in a band, so maybe we could keep quiet about that?"

"Okay, I'll go." He sighed. "For you." He said, smiling at me.

"Thank you." I smiled, grabbing his face and kissing his lips. "I'll pick you up tomorrow at 9:30."

"Jesus, okay. I mean, goodness." He said and I just giggled.

***

The next morning, I drove over to Andy's and knocked on the door. I was wearing a red blouse and black dress pants with black flats. He opened the door wearing a black button down shirt that came to his elbows, black jeans with no holes and nice black boots. He had no makeup, took out his nose ring and his hair like normal.

"Is this okay or do I need to cover up my arms?" He asked.

"You'll be fine."

"You look nice by the way." He smiled.

"Thanks so do you." I said as we walked to my car. I got in the driver's side and he got in the passenger side. I drove to church and parked, turning off the car.

"Ready?"

"Yeah." He sighed, opening the door and getting out. We walked up to the curch and went in.

"Hey Kayla." One of my friends, Kaitlyn smiled.

"Hey Kaitlyn, this is Andy."

"Oh, so you're Andy." She said.

"That would be me."

"You're, um, tall."

"Thank you, I think?" He laughed as he shook her hand. As we went through, I introduced him to people who walked up to me. One of the older ladies in the chuch, Julia, walked up and looked at Andy up and down.

"Is this the boy you were talking about?" She asked.

"Yup, this is Andrew."

"Nice to meet you." Andy smiled, holding out his hand for her to shake it. She shook it and looked at his arms and his neck.

"My, you have a lot of tattoos."

"Yeah." He chuckled.

"So Andy, where do you work?" His eyes went wide and he looked at me.

"Um..." He started, chewing on his lip.

"He works at a tattoo shop." I jumped in.

"Oh?" She asked and Andy nodded.

"Yup, that's where I work. A, um, tattoo shop." He said with a small smile.

"Well it was nice to meet you." She smiled and walked off.

"Is working in a tattoo shop really better than being in a band?" He asked as I led him to a pew.

"Much better. Plus, it explains all your tattoos." I said, sitting down.

"I guess." He shrugged. "I just, I don't know. I haven't been to church in so long and it feels weird to lie in church."

"You'll be fine." I said, patting his knee.

***

After the service, Andy and I hurried to the car before anyone else could talk to us.

"So, what'd you think?" I asked once we were in the car.

"It wasn't bad. I'd go again, I just don't think I'd go every sunday."

"I understand, just tell me when you want to go again and I'll bring you." I said, pulling out of the parking space.

********************************************************************************

Listening to Temporary Home~ Carrie Underwood

10 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER