Chapter 6

When Orochimaru first found Sora, he didn't know he had hit the jackpot. He had found the eight-year-old boy on the street, between garbage cans in a back alley. Filthy, starving, and with all hope for the world extinguished from his eyes.

Orochimaru had seen that look far too many times in his life, and his first instinct was to snatch the boy from the street. Not out of pity, but because he knew full well that this was the easiest child to manipulate.

The boy had refused at first, but after a while and a few sweetened words, he followed.

He had a fairly typical story. During a battle against villains, stray attacks from the heroes damaged a few of the surrounding buildings. The father, who was responsible for financing the family, was killed. His mother became bitter because she lost everything due to the incompetence of a few pro heroes and began to hate them, which was transmitted to her son. Mother and child moved to a poorer neighborhood and could barely keep their heads above water. Crime rates were high and one night someone broke in, raped the mother and then killed her. Little Sora saw the whole thing and fled shortly after. On the street he was refused most help and rejected to go with the heroes who wanted to take him to an orphanage. A tragic backstory, as if straight out of a book. His past and bitterness only made Orochimaru's job easier to turn him into a loyal pawn.

But that wasn't what made him so special. It was the boy's Quirk that Orochimaru had scored full points with.

Sora saw the world as if through a computer. At a glance, he could see basic information about everyone around him as if he were looking at a screen. Under certain circumstances, he could even enter a person's memories. Not only that, but his own mind worked similarly, which made him process information faster, his memory skills were top and he could analyze situations within seconds. He was still young and could not yet use his Quirk perfectly and even if logical and rational thinking was easier for him than for others, he was only a child and his personality was still more or less in his way to use his full potential. So he had his inner computer practically on stand-by mode and rarely used it. Although the risk that he might see through the manipulation later on was higher with him, Orochimaru wasn't particularly worried about that. That was the great thing about Sora being only eight. If he became dependent and attached to Orochimaru at that age, even someone smart like him would find it difficult to get away from him later. If not impossible.

And now, after months of hard work, Orochimaru finally had the boy on the hook.

"Master, I've finished reading the books!" shouted Sora, running into the room where Orochimaru was in the process of disposing of a body. The boy didn't even flinch when he saw the corpse. The Sannin had to grin. A real gem he had on his hands here.

"Want to test your knowledge?" he asked the boy, to which he nodded excitedly. The boy had started learning the basics to medicine and the kid was a genius. If all went well, Sora would be his future right hand man. While he couldn't do medicine jutsu, it was good enough if he knew how to properly dissect a human and treat wounds.

The two of them walked through the long corridors of the labyrinth, Sora bouncing rather excitedly. "Isn't Eight supposed to be with you?" he asked Sora. The latter looked around a bit confused and only now seemed to notice that his caretaker was missing.

Eight was one of twenty-six successful experiments that Orochimaru had raised into loyal and emotionless killing machines with the help of a little torture, seals, and other methods. All twenty-six were from various projects he had done in recent years. To avoid confusion, he had named them all in the order they came. So One to Twenty-Six.

"Huh, Eight was there until just now" Sora seemed to ponder when he had lost his caretaker, then shrugged his shoulder and kept walking. Orochimaru almost laughed at the carefree behavior. His indifference shouldn't bother him, though, and besides, he knew where Eight was. He had built some sort of GPS into the seals and not only knew where they were, but could even see out of their eyes to a certain degree. It was similar to the Curse Mark in that aspect. It was actually a Curse Mark, just watered down a little bit.