Chapter 22

It was first period math, actually a normal day, ignoring the dead body sitting next to oneself. Big circles under the eyes, limp body, dark aura and frantic muttering. At first glance, you'd say you had a Satanist sitting next to you, mumbling some sort of religious ritual while writing letters on a sheet of paper at the speed of light.

Orochimaru eyed the boy. The whole thing had started a few weeks ago. Sometime after Bakugou had been fucked over by a villain and Brokoli-head had run in like an idiot because he actually thought he could do something. After that, a certain hero came along, had to save both boys, sprinkled the sidewalks with slime, and then stuffed the oh-so-evil person into a bottle.

And that was the start of a change in Midoriya. He was training and Orochimaru, who had no idea how the change happened because he hadn't been watching the news, asked a simple question:

Are you in love?

::

"Are you in love?"

Midoriya squeaked as he suddenly found the snake boy standing next to him. He leapt back, nearly tripping over the chair and waving his arms wildly through the air. His muscles ached at the movement and he winced.

Only then did he realize the question and blushed.

"...W...what?!" he asked, his voice several octaves higher.

"Are you in love?" the boy repeated, his face blank. When the greenette couldn't get anything else out besides a squeak, he began to explain:

"You've started working out to improve your body, you're often absent and write long texts in your notebook, and after school you always seem to look forward to meeting a person you like."

Midoriya blinked. He blinked a second time and then lapsed into a jumble of shouted and mumbled words as he tried to explain himself. He wanted to somehow get across that it was a misunderstanding that he wasn't.... in love. And between all the words that poured out of his mouth, one question remained very clear.

"Kenta, since when are you interested in love?"

The snake boy looked at him blankly.

"People around me tend to fall in love with someone or something" he began and Midoriya looked at him confused, "so I've been reading up to take the proper measures if it ever comes to me being confronted again and being forced to play matchmaker" he replied, remembering the time when Takumi still had a crush. When he was done with him, the boy had sworn never to ask him for help again. At least not when it came to his love life.

Midoriya was also at a loss for words. Kenta knew about love? And someone had actually asked him for help? That seemed absolutely out of character for him.

"What kind of measures?" he asked curiously.

"People get closer when they are caught in life and death situations"

"Huh?"

"So I abandoned them on a deserted island in the Pacific Ocean".

"W..what?"

"Unfortunately it didn't go as planned"

Midoriya stared at the boy dumbfounded. Never mind Kenta knowing something about love. Because he clearly didn't.

And after making an inner note never to ask Kenta for help, should he have any emotional problems, he eventually came back to the topic at hand and had to explain why he was training. Something about heroes, UA, his childhood dream, a lot of self motivational speeches and a mentor.

::

In retrospect, the mentor thing was a slightly more interesting topic. But who would have thought that the blood spitting skeleton can inflate himself to look like pajama hero number 1.