Chapter 17

"What's happening there?!" asked Souta in panic.

One moment, everything was calm, everything was going on quietly. A few victims were secured and are receiving medical attention, Unit 2 took out and apprehended yet another enemy, and Unit 1 with Endeavor in the lead have advanced to the next level. Everything was going according to plan. Until suddenly he got word that Unit 1 had encountered Orochimaru and then within seconds all hell broke loose.

Voices rang from the loudspeaker, screams and yells rang in the background and the man felt a chill down his spine.

"Help!- an ambush- enemies sighted- there are too many- we are losing!- casualty rates rising- captives dying" Voices overlapped, hardly anything could be made out. The line was overloaded. The computer's cooler hummed loudly.

Souta started at the flickering dots on the screen, eyes wide.

"Call for backup!" he shouted, not taking his eyes off the screen, "call for all pro heroes in the vicinity who are free." The person behind him nodded hurriedly and Souta tried to calm his rushed breathing. Don't lose your cool now, he warned himself. He grabbed the microphone again and this time the speaker, himself overwhelmed with everything that was happening at once, let him.

"All units, reinforcements are on the way! Try to hold on and move towards the exit!" he ordered sternly and between the panicked chatter and the sounds of battle he could also make out some confirmations. He handed the microphone back and ran a stressed hand through his red hair. Whenever one encountered Orochimaru, chaos ensued.

Suddenly, the door of the car flew open and an officer standing there, looking startled and gasping for breath.

"What's wrong?" asked Souta, tense and frantic even as he tried to cover it up.

"The... the" the man struggled for breath and gasped, "the entrance is gone!"

"What?!"

"And we're under attack. Our main fighting force is in the hideout. We're losing!"

Souta held his breath. This couldn't be happening! His head jerked to the person who was trying to call for reinforcements. "Tell them to hurry!" He shouted and ran out of the vehicle.

"Takahashi!" he heard his name being called behind him, but neither did he turn around, nor did he stop. His footsteps resounded loudly through the forest, leaves crunching and branches cracking as he sprinted through the undergrowth illuminated by spotlights. In the distance, he could hear the sound of battle. Gunfire rang out, screams sounded, battle roars and commandos which were simply drowned out by explosions as Quirks lit up and soared into the sky.

He couldn't leave them alone, he wouldn't! Not when people were dying, not when it was his fault. He stumbled, just managed to catch himself and kept running. Suddenly a person jumped at him from the side, dressed in black, all covered except for their gleaming toxic green eyes. He hastily dodged to the side with a leap, skidding as he came to a stop and turned to face the person. His legs were parallel to each other and his hands held out in front of him, ready to fight, as he analyzed the strange person before him. A woman, her silhouette was barely discernible in the darkness of the night and only by the crushing white light that fought its way through the thicket of the forest in the distance could he make her out at all. Her green eyes seemed to glow in the darkness as she stared at him in a calculating manner.

And then she attacked, lunging forward, leaping off, spinning elegantly and with the grace of a cat in the air, sending a kick to his head. He ducked, grabbed her by the leg and yanked her to the ground. His punch went to her stomach, but she still managed to deflect his punch in the air, rolled off onto the ground and took the position to her advantage to land a well-aimed kick from below into his stomach. He stumbled back and just managed to recollect himself quickly enough to dodge the blade of a dagger that was headed for his neck. It would have been a clean cut and quick death had it hit.