Chapter 9

The next few weeks, Orochimaru spent a lot of time with Takumi to help him awaken his Quirk. All that was needed was a seal, a lot of chakra pills and patience. All Orochimaru did was stimulate and expand his chakra reserves until they erupted on their own. Similarly, awakening a Quirk also worked, so it was quite possible that Takumi was about to develop the stronger version of his Quirk. However, one could not proceed too quickly here, or permanent damage could result. That's why Takumi had regular check-ups with the Sannin.

Orochimaru had to positively state that everything was developing at a steady pace and Takumi had also happily reported to him that he could feel something changing inside him. The boy had been quite critical at the beginning, but in the meantime he trusted Orochimaru completely. That Sora, a walking sunshine, was also there helped the whole situation.

"Thank you Orochimaru" Takumi said after one of the check-ups and gave the snake boy a small smile. The latter just patted his shoulder and sent him a quick glance before turning to his notes to write down the development from his Quirk. The boy took it as his cue to leave. Only when the door fell heavily into the lock did the Sannin look up again. He looked at the spot where the boy was sitting a moment ago. Soon it would become clear if the boy was really willing to work under him. Takumi was not Sora. While he was frustrated with the world in his own way, it did not mean that he agreed with Orochimaru's ways. If he wasn't, he would either have to eliminate him or turn him into a will-less puppet the same way he did with the others. Neither was ideal, but he would not allow a young boy to stand in his way.

Orochimaru found his way to one of the lower floors of his lair. Down here were the slightly messier places. The dungeons, the torture chamber, and a few of his more gruesome experiments. While it was bright and quiet upstairs, it was dark here and the whimpers of the prisoners echoed through the long corridors. Even Sora was here only once and that briefly. The boy didn't need to be here yet, because this was where Orochimaru could let off steam with all his heart. He entered a room where many, large capsules were lined up in rows. The liquid was slightly greenish and glowed ominously as bubbles rose. Inside was a tall, dark figure. Leathery skin, animalistic features and exposed brain. Nomus. Inhuman mutants he had been given by All for One for his own experiments. Orochimaru knew that All for One had another scientist working for him, and that was why it had become something of a silent competition to see who would get the best results. The Sannin was confident that he would win this, because while this doctor was a genius when it came to genetic science and had All for One as a helping hand who could hand out Quirks like a piece of bread, Orochimaru was no less a genius and on top of that he had direct access to chakra. Quirks were just collections of chakra, practically Kekkei Genkai. In his old world, it would have been comparable to the time shortly after the lives of Indra and Ashura Otsutsuki. At that time, even some of the population had no chakra, so they were Quirkless, while others possessed chakra and practically had Quirks. Who knows, maybe if this world developed a bit more, chakra would become as essential to people's lives here that no chakra would equal death.

For now, it didn't, and Orochimaru could just use that to his advantage. A person approached him. Orochimaru tore his gaze from the grotesque creature.

"Thirty-two, report!" he commanded and the person nodded before rattling off any observations and changes in vitals. There weren't many signs of life because these creatures were practically dead.From all he knew, they were all once corpses brought back to life by some immoral means. Or at least to a semi-living state where they would not survive long without outside help. Though they were basically incapable of consuming food and really were just a robots moving on command. Orochimaru honestly wondered how they had brought these things to life. His Edo Tensei was better, at any rate, and he was not about to brag.