Chapter 19

It all happened so fast. So quickly everything became hell. The calm before the storm, then the storm, which turned out to be so much more than a simple thunderstorm. The many people who fell that night numbered in the hundreds.

::

The heat in the hall became more and more unbearable, Arina coughed hard as smoke entered her lungs. Her body felt heavy, the lack of oxygen hindered her even more and she swayed. Again she coughed, trying to push the smoke out of her lungs, but each time only more came in. Her quirk was about to shut down and blood was flowing from so many wounds that she couldn't even tell which part of her body wasn't injured.

She dodged a fist, staggering as she did so. She lunged with all the strength she could muster and rammed her own fist into her opponent's face. Bones broke under the force of her quirk, but she found herself simply unable to wince at the sound. Her head was spinning, there were only three other people standing besides her, all similarly shaken up as she was. Tears welled up in her eyes and she sobbed, followed by coughing. She bent forward, wounds burning, feeling as if she were on fire. She didn't want to die. Her hand rubbed over her face, trying to wipe away the masses of tears. She really didn't want to die. She stumbled forward, her vision blurred, everything hurt so much, everything ached, every movement demanded so incredibly much of her. She was afraid.

Her foot caught on something and she stumbled forward, her reflexes kicking in too late to catch her and she crashed to the ground. A small shriek left her throat and she whimpered. She straightened her head and looked back and wide, empty eyes greeted her, the person's mouth stretched open into a silent wail. She sobbed, new tears mixing with the blood on her cheek, and slowly she lifted her leg from the arm she had tripped over. She had really landed in hell.

Slowly she rose from the blood-covered floor and heaved herself to her feet. They almost gave way under her again. She continued to stumble across the floor, in the direction of the last survivors. They needed her help.

The walk was so short, yet it seemed like an eternity. Endeavor's flames were weakening and she could see his iron will collapsing like a house of cards. Again she had to cough, her lungs were burning and she desperately tried to gasp for air.

She saw in the corner of her eye how one of the shadows came running towards the flame hero from behind, its arm resembling those of a dragon, the claws like long daggers, razor sharp. A certain death.

No.

It was probably sheer willpower that moved her to walk faster, to run and throw herself in the shadow's path. With her last strength she stood in front of him, her Quirk activated for defense. And it was in that moment that her body gave up, her Quirk flickered out like a candlelight and just before she could drop down her body was pierced by the long claws. Her chest was shredded, her lungs torn and her heart impaled.

A broken grimace appeared on her face, the last smile she wanted to bring out, because she thought she had done something right, never came and instead only tears ran down her face.

Even though she didn't want to die.

::

The corridors were deserted. Corpses piled up and blood stuck to walls and flooded the floor. Intestines lay around without owners. It stank, so fiercely that it knocked you over. And in between, there was Kenshin, shaking and his breathing panicked. He was lying in this field of corpses, among the carcasses of his comrades, while he tried to play dead. But his body just couldn't calm down, he flinched at every sound he heard and his fast beating heart just couldn't calm down. He opened his eyes and right in front of him was the stiff face of Yusei, his friend for years. His trembling grew stronger, tears sprang from his eyes and he squeezed them shut again. Please please, get him out of here, he didn't care how, just please don't leave him here. Footsteps echoed through the corridors and he flinched, a whimper escaped his mouth and directly he snapped it shut, squeezing his eyes together and trying to hold his breath.