Chapter 16

The group moved forward slowly. The shock of meeting a few people who seemed to be nothing more than empty shells was still deep in the minds of most. Especially the little boy's eyes as they just stared unfocused into the distance, somewhere only he could see. If he was put on his feet, he would just topple over. He was like a puppet, lines of stress marked on his young face, it was eating Arina up from the inside as she held his small body in her arms, only to give it to someone else.

The group knew at that moment that it wouldn't be the last thing that awaited them and mentally prepared themselves for whatever was soon to come their way. They walked steadily, not too slow to just creep along, but not too fast to stumble upon anything unexpected.

Suddenly they heard a loud clacking sound, followed by the sound of gears turning. All eyes flew to a sidekick, which slowly lifted his foot from a sunken tile. "Shit," he muttered as they heard more sounds, crashing and crackling and the clang of metal from all around them and within the walls. Arina took a step back, her shields raised and her shoulders tensed. Endeavor made flames appear in his hand and scanned the hall intently. More clicking followed until suddenly... it stopped. When nothing happened even after minutes, they relaxed.

"What was that?" someone asked and Arina shrugged.

"Maybe a technical error" she guessed and continued walking.

"Or a deliberately set mental attack. It's supposed to make us nervous" someone else said as they continued walking through the corridors. More doors, only to find the rooms empty. "Do you think he knows we're here?" asked the girl with magenta hair uncertainly. "Not unlikely" Arina replied, not that it helped the girl's nervousness, who gulped anxiously.

They encountered more rooms, this time filled with more people, again they didn't answer and just stared ahead absently. Their conditions were bad. Covered in blood, dressed in rags and malnourished. The further in they went, the worse they looked. "What the hell did that bastard do?" cried Arina angrily as she took a little girl covered in wounds into her arms and rocked her back and forth. The child didn't respond, but deep down the heroine hoped she did.

"I'm sending in units 2 and 4 now" they were informed over the headset. The heroine couldn't bring herself to respond.

Slowly she separated herself from the child, leaving her to someone else, and stomped out the door. "I'll fucking kill that bastard!" she growled, but Endeavor stopped her. His eyes bored into hers as they glared at each other. "Move aside!" she snapped, but the flame hero did not back away.

" You' re not going anywhere!" he warned, and the woman huffed. But she obeyed and waited until the group went on together. Her steps brisk, she grew impatient.

They arrived at an intersection, three ways they could go. They looked down each hallway, all three looked the same. Suddenly, two sets of footsteps rang out from the hallway to their right. Some froze while the others stood ready to fight. Arina looked over at a pro hero who had stepped forward. Storm Hunter, if she remembered correctly, a classic speed quirk.

With simple finger signs they communicated. He would surprise them, the rest should remain hidden. She nodded and watched as he disappeared around the corner in a split of a second.

Suddenly the sound of a shotgun being loaded rang through her ears and a shot followed by a scream. Her eyes widened. It couldn't be-

She ran around the corner, her shield activated, and faltered as the shotgun was loaded a second time. How could they be fast enough to hit him? The bullet was aimed at the man, who was kneeling in front of him, holding his bleeding shoulder.

"No!" she shouted, running forward, but before she could reach them, a shot boomed. Storm Hunter's head flew back, blood spurted like a fountain from the severed head, and as if in slow motion, he fell to the ground.