Chapter 21

"I'm set" Takumi muttered into his headset, and Kyoko and Sora confirmed his statement.

Orochimaru watched the trio as they crept through the dark streets of Musutafu. All of them had one goal. A man, 32 years old, steam quirk, normal office worker with no special features. He walked through the night streets, his footsteps echoing and his figure illuminated by the glare of the lanterns.

He had given them a task. They were to kill him without drawing attention to themselves. It was a simple task, it was to test their teamwork, skill and ability. He had spent three years drilling all sorts of tactics, fighting styles and knowledge into their heads and had them practice until their bodies reacted on their own.

So why, why were they acting like genin on their first mission? Theoretically it was their first mission yes, but he still expected... more.

"I want to kill him" Sora shouted into the microphone and Takumi sighed.

"You stay in your position and don't kill anyone. Your job is information and surveillance, so stick to that."

Sora started to complain, his voice rang through the empty streets and the man, their target stopped and looked around. A frown graced his face as he looked around.

And another point deducted on their rating. Orochimaru could only shake his head.

" I 'll move closer" Kyoko whispered, and a figure detached itself from the shadows of a dark side alley. Dark clothing and a mask hid the girl behind it. Her footsteps were barely audible as she continued to move toward the man, well hidden.

Suddenly there was a clatter in a side alley the an was walking past and he stopped. Kyoko stiffened briefly and fled with a leap behind a parked car.

"Hello?" the man asked into the darkness, stepping up to the entrance of the alley. He was unsure, afraid, and seemed to be debating with himself whether he should just leave or venture deeper into the ominous alley.

A choked and croaked "help" sounded from behind a pile of trash cans. The man paused, hesitating briefly before taking a step forward and stepping into the alley. His eyes scanned the barely discernible surroundings as he walked slowly and cautiously forward.

"Hello?" he asked again, more uncertainly, wanting nothing more than to get out of here.

He was never fast enough to dodge the knife that darted towards him, he never managed to escape his death in time, and he never had the chance to change anything about his fate.

Only his choked and gurgling scream announced that he was at least still fast enough to realize that he was dying.

Kyoko ran out of her hiding place and towards the side alley, Takumi appeared a few meters away and followed her.

They stopped in front of the entrance and quickly he took out his flashlight. A white beam of light illuminated the scene in front of them.

"I win" shouted Sora, who was laughing towards them sitting on a corpse. Kyoko sighed and Takumi groaned as they looked down at the little boy.

"I told you not to kill anyone" Takumi said, turning away at the sight of the dead body. He still couldn't handle seeing things like that. Whether it was the corpses of man or animal, or the misshapen creatures that dwelled in the deepest cellars of Orochimarus hideout. He leaned against the wall, his hand over his eyes. He really couldn't handle it.

"You have to stick to the plan" Kyoko scolded, ignoring Takumi who kept his distance. She was probably the only one who had some kind of idea about how this was supposed to go. She adjusted her mask, an animal mask similar to that of the Anbu. Once again, the design was due to Orochimaru's great creativity.