Chapter 13

Orochimaru was probably never someone who cared much about others. Everything he did was with a goal in mind. Everything he did was for himself.

If he did show kindness to someone, it meant that person had a use. He was like this before and he would not change now. He was too old to change much. For years he walked through the world, killing people left and right, with cold eyes and a grin on his face that it was hard to feel something, anything, now.

When he saw his proteges, Kyoko now added to the group, he saw only their future in them. Loyal pawns, not children who would fight giant pillow wars and continue to laugh childishly despite their own trauma.

But that was probably why he had no problem giving his father a hard time.

The man looked broken, constantly twitching, heavy bags under his eyes, and he was silent. Silent to the point of unnerving the rest of the family. Constantly he would look at the phone, as if he was just waiting for some bad news to arrive.

Orochimaru knew that the man was at the end of his rope, he just didn't care. He couldn't care less if this man threw himself off a roof here and now and just died. In the beginning, his information were quite helpful, but Orochimaru was still weak then.

Now he had a small army, many of them spies. A little information from the police department was nothing to him. So what use had this man for him then?

"Work is hard" Souta said wearily, trying to ignore the worried looks from his wife and son. "But everything is okay" he assured. No one said anything. Orochimaru just eyed him. How many more useful secrets do you have in that head of yours? He said nothing.

At least, those were the memories the Sannin got from his clone. He ignored them. In front of him he had his three students. All three were learning as he had asked them to. Kyoko had the most fun, the girl loved books. No wonder with her Quirk. She had an inner library. Once she touched a book it was added. After that she could make it appear in her hand to read it.

He was lucky with the Quirks of all his charges and he was glad because that meant he had made no mistakes in his choice.

Sora adored him. Orochimaru was like the big brother he never had and the Sannin gave him everything he could desire. The child's mentality was frail, but hardened to a certain extent because of past experiences. He was not afraid to see blood. "I don't care about others, but I don't like it when those I care about are hurt" were his words. He would do anything to keep the people he loved from the dangers of the world. Orochimaru was one of those people and if he said murder and torture would help him, then the boy would follow him.

Takumi was a slightly harder case. Even though he was disturbed by the bullying, he was never completely lost. He still had hope in this society and that someone would come to save him. He was bitter that this person was not a hero, not one of the white side, but someone who was supposed to be bad. He was still grateful. However, he had trouble accepting how deep the shadow of the Sannin actually went. Sora and now Kyoko and his gratitude towards Orochimaru were what kept him here the most. Orochimaru would change that.

And then there was Kyoko. He was frankly surprised by her appearance. Her hero, she had said. He found it rather ironic to be called that. But he would not complain. The girl had proven soon enough how genuine her feelings were, and Orochimaru wasn't afraid to take her in. She had potential. Potential that her father apparently couldn't see when he tossed her aside. But the previous training did her good and she was a genius. In both body and mind. In his old world, she would have made a good shinobi. She was like the cherry on top, because she'd already had everything she needed beaten into her since childhood, so the only thing Orochimaru had to do was keep polishing her.