Chapter 7-Heart to heart

20 minutes later...

Mark and I are sitting on his bed and Mark's head is resting on my shoulder. His tears are dried to his face and he's staring at the wall. 

"Mark...Are you okay?", I ask him, quietly.

"Yeah...", he says even quieter.

I stand up and Mark looks up at me.

"Are you going home?", Mark asks.

"No. Get changed into something more comfortable. We're going on a trip".

45 minutes later...

Mark and I are sitting on the ledge of the roof, staring down at the city below us. Mark looks at me and smiles.

"Thanks for this. I owe you one".

"Nah. It's fine. I kind of enjoy being here with you. It's nice".

Mark smiles and puts his head on my shoulder.

I hope his Mom isn't super mad at him.

"Mark?", I say.

"Hm?"

"I think it's really awesome that you're doing what you want. And, I think it was really brave of you to tell your Mom the truth".

"Well...That was just a warmup".

"What do you mean?"

"That was the easy part. Now, I have to tell her that I changed my major from medicine to psychology".

I look at him, "Is that a...Bad thing?"

He nods, "to them it is. When I was growing up, my parents had my whole career picked out for me. They wanted me to be a doctor. Osana is a doctor and I was given the opportunity to go to Japan and be her understudy. That's why my mom was so upset that I rejected it".

"Oh...So, what do you wanna be?", I ask him, genuinely interested.

"Your boyfriend", he mumbles.

"What?", I say, laughing.

"Nothing. I'm just messing with you. I think I wanna be a case manager".

"Cool".

Mark looks at me, "what about you? What do you want to be?"

"Well...Maybe a homicide detective. Right now, I'm majoring in forensic science".

Mark smiles, "cool".

Mark stops smiling and stares into my eyes. He glances down at my lips and then back up at my eyes.

"What are you thinking about?", I ask him.

"I...Really wanna kiss you".

I smile, "go for it".

He leans in and places a gentle kiss on my lips. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in for another kiss. He deepens the kiss by putting his hands on my waist. But, before the kiss can get any steamier, my phone buzzes. 

I roll my eyes and pull my phone out of my pocket.

"M, I have a surprise for you. Come to the library".

Oh no...Lucas's surprises are never good...

"What's wrong?", Mark says, peeking at my phone.

"We gotta get back to campus", I say, standing up.

"O-Okay...", Mark says, standing up too.

25 minutes later...

"Lucas?", I look through the glass door of the library. 

I try the handle one more time but it still doesn't budge. I sigh and back away from the door. I look around and notice a window on the side of the building.

Maybe I can get in through there...?

I walk up to the window and pull the lever. Surprisingly, the window pops open. I slip through the window and into the dark library. 

"Lucas! It's creepy in here. Where are you?"

The summer before 10th grade, Lucas pulled something similar to this. He invited me to the pool. When I got there, he scared me by pushing me into the pool and then jumping in with me. I was mad until Lucas somehow cheered me up and convinced me to swim around with him. Lucas is like that. He always has a way of making people happy. Even if he just pushed them into a pool.

"Hey, you're here".

I turn around and see Lucas emerging from behind a bookshelf.

"Hey, I am here", I say.

He chuckles and walks up to me. 

"So...What do ya think?", he asks.

"About what?", I say raising an eyebrow. 

"About having the whole library to ourselves".

"What am I supposed to think?"

"I don't know...Maybe the possibilities are endless...Or, I'm gonna tie Lucas up and do nasty things to him".

I hit his shoulder and he laughs.

"I'm just kidding...I mean, unless..."

I giggle and he smiles proudly. 

"Well...The possibilities aren't endless, but we could have some fun...", I say, thinking of all the things we could do. 

"So...", he says, turning his phone flashlight on, "what do you wanna do?"

"We could...play hide and seek".

Lucas thinks about it for a minute, "sure. Now go hide!"

Without warning, Lucas starts counting, and I sprint away from him.