Chapter 10-Convenience store

As I'm walking down the sidewalk, still trying to process what happened, a car slows down and starts driving next to me. 

"Hey, cutie. Need a ride?"

I ignore the creep and keep looking straight ahead. I pull out my phone and quickly type something.

"I'm at Kim's Convenience at the corner on Louis Boulevard. Come get me".

I hit send just as I step into the small store. I notice the car outside pull into the parking lot and hear the engine shut off. Whoever's inside is clearly waiting for me. 

Fucking creep.

I go down one of the aisles and notice a bag of my favorite chips. I think about it for a moment but finally, make my decision when my stomach rumbles. I grab the chips and walk up to the front counter. 

"Wow...She's pretty", the clerk says, in Korean to his coworker.

"Thank you", I say, smiling.

The clerk gives me a look like, "how did she understand me?", and then blushes.

One of the advantages of speaking a foreign language is being able to surprise people who speak that language, by showing them you understand what they just said. It's great. 

I hand the clerk a five-dollar bill and tell him to keep the change. I go sit on a bench in the corner of the store and open the bag of chips. I put one in my mouth and smile, savoring the salty flavor.

Still as good as I remember.

After I finish my bag of chips, I throw the bag away and turn my phone on. I open Instagram and scroll through my feed. I see some pictures of beautiful city scenery and some pictures of girls in bikinis at beautiful beaches, but one picture particularly catches my eye. It's a picture of Mark and I sitting on the roof. We're both smiling and holding up peace signs. 

He actually posted this? I didn't think he would. I forgot he even took this.

The captions reads, "she's so beautiful, isn't she?"

Awww...Cute...

"What are you looking at?"

I look up from my phone and see Lucas standing in front of me. 

I smile, "hey"

"You didn't answer my question", he says, keeping a straight face. 

"Oh. Nothing", I shrug.

He shifts from his left foot to his right foot and crosses his arms. I stretch, extending my arms into the air, and then stand up.

"Let's go", I say, grabbing the spare helmet he has in his hand. 

I walk out the front door of the shop and he follows closely behind. The person in the car notices Lucas and starts their engine. They quickly leave and I smirk.

Wuss.

I get on Lucas's bike and put the helmet on. 

"Let's go to the end of the world", I say to Lucas.

He smiles and gets on the bike. He revs the engine and we fly down the road.