[ 24 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

24

"Anger doesn't solve anything

"Anger doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing but it can destroy everything."

Fort Hamilton, New York
June, 1943

LUCY WAS THOROUGH WHEN SHE left Brooklyn, filling her suitcase with military grade weapons she'd borrowed from the base in New Jersey, ranging from pistols to rifles, to even grenades. She doubted she'd use all of them but it was better to be well-prepared than not. She'd also taken the IV drips from the hallway closet in Abraham's home, placing the carefully sealed box exactly where she left it, leaving no proof of her presence. She'd almost cried then, but she didn't let the tears fall until she'd entered the backseat of Howard's car. She knew he'd glanced at her for a moment, before returning his gaze to the road. He didn't bother talking, and Lucy would've been relieved with his mindfulness if she wasn't busy keeping her anger at bay.

HYDRA had come for Abraham, as much as they'd come for the serum. Lucy struggled not to blame herself, because it wasn't even her fault and twisting the problem to center it on herself was ridiculously selfish. Even if she was guilty, Abraham wouldn't want her to dwell on it.

She clenched her jaw as she grabbed her suitcase and pulled it out of Howard's trunk.

They would know, however, how much his death would fracture her. They would know how much she'd malfunction and they'd know she'd want to run on the frontlines to kill like a feral animal, until there was enough HYDRA blood spilled for her to swim in. Lucy liked to point out that was not why she was traveling to goddamn Morocco. Why the hell would she go to Africa if she wanted to massacre HYDRA agents? At least, that was her logic, even though she technically knew the 107th were going to head towards Italy and the European field soon, which would ultimately lead her to Germany. But the 107th were yet to land in Casablanca and she'd be more level-headed then- again, not that she was going to Morocco in order to hunt HYDRA agents.

She was careful not to slam Howard's trunk shut because that would leave a dent and she didn't need to worry about fixing a dent when she was extremely close to hitting, well, just about anything. She forced her expression to remain neutral as Howard walked besides her with an air of caution- maybe he'd seen what grief could do to someone.

Jarvis was awaiting them and Howard had quickly swooped in to speak with him curtly and sharply, as if it was all business and nothing else. Lucy had been appreciative before, but now a part of her actually liked the way Howard simply was. She'd seen him as intelligent, but not thoughtful. In silence he took her suitcase and placed it in the jet compartment behind the piloting seat. Lucy moved to climb into the front, ignoring the helmet Jarvis hesitantly offered.