[ 3 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

3

"We can know only that we know nothing

"We can know only that we know nothing."

Bavaria, Germany
December, 1939

HER EARS RANG AS Dr. Zola pointed a gun at the ground. His eyes were bright with satisfaction, lips curved in a proud smile. Lucy breathed deeply as her heart palpitated in her chest, adrenaline rushing through her veins. Miniscule piles of dust littered the ground in several different areas, each pile representative of the bullets once flying through the air.

All she needed to do was tear the bullet inside out and rearrange their molecular structures- she could turn things to dust. If she'd known that the other day she wouldn't have landed herself in the infirmary or anywhere near the hospital ward.

She winced as a headache sped through her head, and Dr. Zola tilted his head back to look up at her.

The air around her buzzed as she moved one foot forward, the bottom of her feet hitting nothing but air. She stumbled, and Abraham moved to stand beneath her, eyebrows furrowed with worry, eyes glinting with awe. Her eyes narrowed with concentration and sweat trickled down her forehead as she held her hands out, tearing the air's molecular structure and forming it into something denser. The chemical concoction was invisible beneath her feet and it looked as though she was floating.

Abraham slowly stepped to the side, looking hesitant.

Lucy regained her balance and let herself lower to the ground, staring at her feet. With hesitance her eyes flickered across every molecule, checking and fixing the mistakes of her calculations. She heard the door to the room open and looked up for a split second. In the brief moment she caught sight of Dr. Schaffer, the toxins beneath her feet returned to its natural state and she let out a justified shriek as she fell four feet in the air, knees smacking into the ground with a crack.

Abraham rushed to her side as a pained groan escaped her lips. Dr. Schaffer stepped over towards Dr. Zola with a clipboard in hand. He shifted his glasses on the bridge of his nose, tucking his gun into his lab coat and speaking to Dr. Schaffer quietly.

"Geht es dir gut?"

Are you alright?

Abraham muttered and she nodded wordlessly, pulling matted hair behind her ear.

Dr. Zola turned on his heel, a pleased smile on his face as he marched towards the pair. Abraham stiffened as if he was expecting a blow, and Lucy found herself scrambling onto her feet, hands clasped behind her back. She pushed Abraham behind her as Dr. Schaffer followed behind Dr. Zola.