[ 31 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

31

"Karma awaits no one

"Karma awaits no one."

Kreischberg, Austria
October, 1943

LUCY'S HAIR WAS TIED in a taut ponytail, beads of sweat trickling down her face. She wore a white tank top with black tactical pants, socks pulled right beneath her ankles accompanied by low-ankle combat boots. Her legs ached as she jogged around the prisoners working, guards stepping out of her way as she rushed past. Dr. Schaffer was leaning against one of the unused tables, a book in hand. He glanced at her for a moment before looking down at his book and turning a page.

A week had passed since they'd first arrived at the HYDRA base, and Lucy had watched forlornly as the prisoners grew skinnier and sicker everyday. James had caught the flu or pneumonia- none of them were sure yet. Lucy could see the molecules within James morphing and shifting and it seemed like his flu was on the brink of becoming pneumonia.

She breathed softly as she ran another lap. She let her head grow horizontal to the ground, careful to keep herself as quiet as possible.

James lifted her head, gazing at her for a moment before he fell into a coughing fit. Lucy slowed in her steps, but didn't stop as she looked away and hurried forwards. She ran faster in an attempt to reach James again. Dum Dum watched her sympathetically before going back to hammering flat metal pieces.

She wasn't sure what it was for, but Lucy hardly had the time to worry about that. She continued running, running another lap. She passed James again, but this time he ended up in a coughing fit so severe he couldn't hammer the metal anymore. Lucy slowed in her steps as Colonel Lohmer stalked towards him.

Jim grabbed James's arm as he doubled over, trying his best to help him stand. Lucy came to a stop, worriedly watching James continue to hack his lungs out.

Lucy's eyes flicked to Dr. Schaffer who was more engrossed in his book than her.

She turned her head back to James just in time to witness Colonel Lohmer slam a baton into his back. Usually James would turn and spit at them, but he fell to the ground instead. Jim shouted as Gabe and Dum Dum rushed towards them. Lucy's heart twisted inside her chest as Colonel Lohmer waved his gun threateningly at the men, before turning back to James who coughed against the ground.

Colonel Lohmer raised his baton again, and she flinched when it slammed into James's back again.

She glanced at Dr. Schaffer, only to find him staring at her tentatively, his book closed and tucked under his arm. His eyes flicked to James momentarily, before returning to her.