[ 15 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

15

"The past beats inside of me like a second heart

"The past beats inside of me like a second heart."

Queens, New York
December, 1942

WHEN THE TRAIN CAME to a stop, Lucy was fast asleep, eyes shut, shoulders relaxed. Peggy was reluctant in shaking her awake but she did so anyway, and Lucy sat up instantly, startled. Her eyes flickered back and forth, before breathing a relieved sigh. Peggy grabbed her suitcase, standing, and Lucy mirrored her motions. She shifted her gaze to James and adjusted his hat over his head. He breathed in with a small groan, his hand reaching upwards. He pushed his hat from his eyes and looked up at Lucy blearily.

"Leavin'?" He asked in a tired voice.

Lucy paused, nodding silently. She hadn't meant to wake him up, but she assumed living in Camp McCoy had given him habits- one which usually made soldier's increasingly alert.

"I'll try to visit sometime." She said, tilting her head. "Sergeant James Barnes, 107th regiment. I'll remember it."

She watched as James blinked, running a hand over his face with a small yawn. He put his hat in his lap, lips tilting upwards in a small smile, eyes twinkling sadly.

"Tha's me, alright." He nodded. "Hope to see ya sometime- maybe. . .maybe I can buy you a drink."

Lucy smiled softly, shaking her head.

"I think I'd rather enjoy sitting under the stars with you." She said.

Lucy did cherish the moments they'd snuck out of the barracks and spoke to each other about life. It was good to take a break from the army atmosphere and it was refreshing to be looked at without a hint of empathy or concern- not that she would ever reprimand Peggy for shooting her side-glances with said emotions.

James's lips twitched and he nodded, then furrowed his eyebrows.

"Wait a minute. . .did you just try to flirt with me?" He gasped with sudden realization.

Lucy laughed- a hearty one- and grinned. She put two fingers to her forehead, saluting him. He mirrored the gesture, before she turned and followed Peggy out of the train cart.

She placed her red Stetson Aviatrix hat over her head, the one Peggy had given her all those years ago. She pulled her hair behind her ear, falling into stride besides her as they walked out of the station. Her eyes flickered across the tall buildings and Lucy inched closer to Peggy as they entered the street, bustling with citizens. The sky was unsurprisingly dark as they continued down the sidewalk.