[ 59 ]

_______________
__________
_____

R E D
R O O M

59

"Pain only makes you stronger

"Pain only makes you stronger."

Red Room, ???
July, 1995

SHE FELT WARM AIR UNFURL across her skin, white lights burning into her eyes as droplets of water escaped her lashes. Her eyelids dropped as two pairs of hands gripped either side of her arm, pulling her forwards and out of her cryostasis chamber. She expected to be hefted onto a metal table, so she was confused by the warmth wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her close into a block of more warmth. Her shivering stopped sooner than it usually did, her eyes fluttering shut as she leaned against the heat-pack.

She could hear the sound of someone's heartbeat pressed against her ear. Her brows furrowed.

That wasn't right- the warmth was moving and breathing and alive.

Her eyes snapped open and almost expected to see Dr. Schaffer. Instead she caught sight of a familiar blonde tuft of hair, deep blue eyes following her movements as he kept a gentle grip around her shoulders. Something inside of her told her to pull away, but he- the not-Steve, Pierce- was warm and she was still half frozen.

Her eyes wandered around the room cautiously. Everything looked different. The walls were white, a pure white and not cement gray like it'd been last time. There were two technicians dressed in lab coats, and an absence of guards.

Maybe Pierce was arrogant too.

Verfall lowered her eyes as Pierce guided her towards the single metal table in the room. That was different too. There was only one table, even though Winter's cryostasis chamber was pressed to the side, which was currently being monitored by the technicians as the machine whirred.

"Let go, Verfall."

She blinked to clear her head.

Her hands were clasped tightly around Pierce's arms, so tightly her nails had formed deep semicircles, threatening to draw blood. His hands cupped her elbows, still gentle even though she knew he must be in pain. She released her nails immediately, guilt swelling in her chest as she ducked her head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry." She muttered almost frantically, clasping her hands behind her back.

Pierce rubbed his arms, exhaling a small sigh.

"That's alright." He said softly.

Verfall swallowed nervously, because it most definitely was not alright.