[ 8 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

8

"When a person acts without knowledge of what they think, need or want, they do not yet have the option of choosing to act differently

"When a person acts without knowledge of what they think, need or want, they do not yet have the option of choosing to act differently."

Bavaria, Germany
October, 1940

RETURNING TO THE HYDRA base in Bavaria was just as exciting as traveling to Auschwitz- in other words Lucy had the sudden urge to throw up but managed to keep it down. After she'd murdered one person, killing the next and the next didn't bother her as much as it should've. Of course, all the men she managed to kill were SS officers who beat more men to death then she could count. Nevertheless, Dr. Schaffer seemed satisfied with her sheer capability to kill, and Lucy was marginally terrified he didn't care who or what she destroyed- as long as she was destroying something. Lucy never wanted to kill anyone- that was true- but she couldn't help but wonder if the world would be a better place without Schutzstaffel soldier's stepping on Jews.

Dr. Schaffer showed his ID to the guard in the main hall as Lucy stared down at her hands and rotated the cuffs on her wrists. She didn't really understand how they worked, nor did she really want to know- she was only grateful it wasn't around her neck.

Her eyes flitted across the entrance and she could hear the sound of agents rushing back and forth with excitement and curiosity. If Lucy knew one thing about HYDRA, it was the fact rumors travelled fast, and nearly every man was intrigued by her very existence.

Once Dr. Schaffer was cleared to enter, Lucy straightened, her back as straight as a board. She kept her head horizontal to the ground as she stepped forwards in calculated strides, following Dr. Schaffer as he led her towards the training rooms.

Nurses and doctors stared at her with hushed whispers, and Lucy was hit with sudden nostalgia when Peggy's familiar brown curls came into view. She turned her head to look at her and Lucy almost stopped in her tracks. Peggy's eyes widened with surprise, before instantly frowning with concern. Lucy quickly dropped her gaze and focused on the heels of Dr. Schaffer's shoes. Her steps were silent as Dr. Schaffer turned right, leaving Peggy to herself.

Lucy walked past groups of agents who looked at her with awe. She blinked and paid them no attention as Dr. Schaffer pushed open a familiar door. It took her a moment to recognize it before she realized they had entered the training room. She stepped past the doorway, surprised to find herself content in a place she once hated.

She stood at the center of a training mat as Dr. Schaffer grabbed her wrists and clicked her silver shackles off. She stood as still as possible, watching the red blinking light melt away. He put both cuffs in his lab coat, and stepped back, grinning from ear to ear. She lowered her hands and breathed calmly as the door opened behind him. A guard stepped inside while dragging a man with hands and feet tied tightly together. A harsh feeling of deja vu punched her gut and she cringed when the guard threw him onto the floor. He nodded at Dr. Schaffer, then left with a grunt.