[ 39 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

39

"The tongue pierces deeper than the spear

"The tongue pierces deeper than the spear."

London, England
November, 1943

LUCY FOUND IT MARGINALLY easier to fall back into the role of a person, especially with Steve, James and Dum Dum checking up on her everyday. In fact, most of her personality traits- the traits that made her human- were salvaged by the mere way the trio would appear, grin like idiots, then bring her to eat lunch with them. She didn't complain about the army rations they had to eat, instead too relieved by the way the three were able to make everything feel normal.

It made everything feel right, in every way that made her comfortable.

She supposed it must've been the reason why she didn't realize how much she was starting to truly care about James. She had started to notice the tired look that'd appear in his eyes, accompanied by a smile that tried to be bright. She'd also noticed the true smiles he showed, directed towards her when he thought she wasn't looking.

It made her heart warm, but she knew how much of a risk it was to try and deepen her relationship with James.

Lucy let loose a small sigh as she carefully spread lipstick across her lips.

The only thing she struggled with was being accepted by Colonel Phillips and the rest of the higher-ups after half the prisoners reported her abilities, and how deadly she could be. It was a miracle the man was fond of her, enough to let her off the hook with barely any change to the way he treated her.

Peggy raised an eyebrow at her as she pulled the straps to her stunning red dress, placing them on her shoulders. Lucy had a dress of her own- tinted blue that reached her knees, fabric dipping to her chest to create a sharp v-line. It was laced, just like Peggy's, after all, Lucy was only borrowing it.

She'd used her abilities to lengthen the otherwise too short outfit, only to find it rather difficult to do so. She knew Dr. Schaffer had given her the original IV formula which she knew contained SBA. Which meant she also knew there'd be only a few months, perhaps even less, before she'd need Dr. Zola to create the formula for her, or whatever had been in the needle he'd injected her with.

She frowned, knowing he'd probably refuse to help.

Which left Dr. Schaffer.

She shuddered at the thought.

"You're lost in thought again, aren't you?" Peggy questioned as she struggled to zip the rest of her dress up.

Lucy blinked, turning to her with a small sheepish smile.