[ 36 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

36

"Patience is virtue

"Patience is virtue."

Kreischberg, Austria
November, 1943

"WE NEED TO REMOVE those." James almost demanded as he pointed to the silver cuffs circling Lucy's hands.

Verfall reluctantly looked up at him, frowning slightly at his remark. She then looked to Steve who was sitting besides them. They had walked non-stop for two days sitting to rest only when night fell on the third day. Verfall thought it should've been the other way around- at least in the dark they wouldn't be easily spotted. But she said nothing, instead resting alongside the two people she guessed were her friends. Her heart had ached ever since she left the base. Every step she took felt inherently wrong and was against all of her programming.

To say the least, she was horrified.

Steve shifted his gaze to Verfall and she felt uneasy, leaning closer towards James, though her mind was having a hard time deciphering him from Dr. Schaffer. She wasn't quite sure why. Maybe it was the resemblance of their hairstyles, and the soft hand that'd grabbed her elbow when she was trembling in the corner of the bathroom. James's soft actions were remarkably similar to Dr. Schaffer's, though she was yet to see if he was as terrifying.

Steve's deep sea-eyes softened and his lips tilted upwards in a comforting smile. With his blonde hair reflecting the sun she vaguely wondered if he was a golden retriever in his past life- not that she believed in that sort of thing.

"If these aren't trackers, and you're not comfortable removing them, we don't need to." He said kindly.

She swallowed nervously.

Dr. Schaffer had changed her cuffs early on during her stay in the bathroom. They still shocked her when they were tugged hard or if she used her abilities. But as of having trackers in them, well, he never said. She supposed it would be convenient for the pair to try and remove them but she'd be in extreme pain.

She looked up at him, speaking reluctantly.

"I'm not sure." She said. "He never told me."

Steve's lips tilted downwards into a small frown, though the soft glimmer in his eyes didn't dissipate. James cleared his throat, looking up at her curiously, a gaze she didn't mind.

"When you-" he glanced at Steve, then hurriedly back to his hands, "-visited me in isolation. With that asshole. You had those on too, didn't ya?"

Verfall winced at the way James spoke about Dr. Schaffer, before nodding with agreement.