[ 56 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R

56

"You don't deserve this

"You don't deserve this. No one does"

Siberia, Russia.
June, 1981

THERE WAS A GARDEN BEHIND the home. It wasn't small, but it wasn't extraordinarily large either. It was a beautiful place planted with vegetables like peas, cabbage, turnips, carrots, onions, and garlic. It had caught her eye when she'd gone on her first patrol, checking every corner for any hidden American agent. So far she'd only found a pair, who had both run from her when she'd gotten close.

She was drawn to the garden.

The plants thrived wonderfully and the scent of fragrant leaves- that faint smell of petrichor- grounded her in a way she couldn't understand. If someone told her she'd once played in the rain, stomping up mud and getting her boots wet, she wouldn't believe them. The innocence she'd experienced as a child was so far gone, so unbelievable, that she failed to believe she'd been anything remotely human.

Even so, the garden was her favo- was a part of the house and needed to be protected just as she protected Karpov.

Her feet sunk softly into damp soil as she crouched in front of a growing carrot, watching a bumblebee walk across one of its leaves. She held a finger out, and the little creature waddled onto her finger. It was soft and furry and delicate. She cupped the bug carefully as she slowly stood, examining it's little wings and the bright black and yellow that contrasted against the vast sea of green it'd been travelling on.

"Я знала, что найду тебя здесь."

I thought I'd find you here.

Verfall straightened immediately, bringing her hands close to her chest, a protective gesture as she hid the bumblebee from his line of sight. She felt the creature's wings flutter against her skin before it continued crawling around her palm.

Karpov stepped over to her, wearing beige cargo pants and muddy boots as he approached her.

She lowered her gaze as he stopped in front of her.

He bent down slightly, nodding at her cupped hands. She moved slowly, her fingers spreading to show the fluffy bee moving around with curiosity.

"Давайте приведем этого маленького парня домой."

Let's bring this little guy home.

He said softly.

Verfall hesitantly looked up at him, still not meeting his gaze but observing him for signs of sincerity.