[ 4 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

4

"Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations

"Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations."

Weimar, Germany
April, 1940

THE FIRST LOCK ON Lucy's door clicked open, and she startled awake. Her eyes fluttered and she stared at the empty ceiling before pulling herself into a sitting position. Her cell had become more of a room- there was a desk besides the farthest corner and a chair pushed into place. She was currently laying on a thin cot with a soft blanket pulled to her chest, a small pillow inches from her hand. The accommodations had been offered by Peggy and agreed with by Abraham and Dr. Zola, then approved by Schmidt who seemed evermore pleased by her continuous compliance.

Lucy vaguely missed her simple factory job and tiny apartment home, living a stressed but modest life. Work had been grueling and keeping a roof over her head in depression era Germany had been tiring, but she had a choice on how to live. Now she followed a tight schedule that was physically and mentally exhausting, fearful of making a mistake of any kind.

A sigh escaped her lips as she swung her legs over the side of her cot, pulling the blanket off of her and folding it gently between her arms. The last lock clicked and she looked up as the door pushed open with a quiet creak. She straightened, holding her hands open-palmed as Abraham stepped inside, eyes flickering back and forth.

She tilted her head curiously as Peggy walked in besides him, holding a tray of food in one hand while dragging an IV drip behind her.

She let her shoulders slump, relaxing as best she could, knowing Abraham became overly regretful and guilty whenever she treated him like the other scientists or agents. He shut the door behind him and stepped over towards Lucy with a soft smile on his lips.

"Good morning, Lucy." He said, accented english ringing odd in her ears.

She nodded in response, and Abraham grabbed the chair besides her desk, pulling it across the cot she was sitting on. She watched Peggy walk towards her, before stopping in front of her cot. Lucy automatically moved over, assuming she wanted to sit, but Peggy turned to her instead, a polite smile on her lips.

"Is it alright if I sit here?" She asked softly, and it took Lucy a few seconds to realize she was asking for her permission.

She blinked awkwardly before nodding silently. Peggy's smile softened and she sat down, holding the tray towards her. Lucy's eyes scanned the tray and she was pleasantly surprised by the bowl of gnocchi and potato soup. There was a slice of bread besides it with a small bowl of salad.