[ 14 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

14

"Friendship is built on two things: respect and trust

"Friendship is built on two things: respect and trust."

Wisconsin, America
December, 1942

HER HAND FIDDLED WITH the dog tags around her neck, the silver metal reflecting the bathroom light. She read the name of her father, alongside his serial number, picturing his bleeding corpse. She breathed deeply, lips tilting into a frown as she tucked it beneath her blouse. She turned the faucet on and splashed her face with cold water before turning on her heel and exiting the bathroom. Peggy was bent over an open suitcase, placing carefully folded clothes atop each other. The room was bare, mattresses folded over each other, windows shut. Her time at Camp McCoy had come to an end, and a part of her knew she'd miss it- the environment, the exercise, the training.

She stepped besides Peggy who threw her a uniform and a hairbrush.

"Can't fit it in mine." She said sheepishly with a tired yawn.

Lucy caught the items and rolled her eyes lightheartedly as Peggy shut her suitcase, clicking the locks. Lucy stepped to her own suitcase, which was almost fully packed. She carefully placed Peggy's clothes inside, besides her uniform and tactical gear. There was a stack of pill bottles to one side, all brand new, and courtesy of Abraham who was somewhere in Queens. She grabbed her half empty pill hidden under her mattress, taking a couple of pills and placing them into her mouth. She felt them dissolve as she swallowed them dry and shut her suitcase. She picked it up and held it to her side as Peggy stood in front of the doorway.

"So," Lucy said as they stepped onto the dirt, "where are we going next?"

Peggy paused, right foot driving into the dirt in front of her abruptly, as if a sudden thought had crossed her mind. Her gaze morphed with subtle concern and a hint of guilt- possibly regret.

"You're following me because you want to, right? Not because I. . .asked?" She said slowly, hesitantly, possibly afraid of the answer.

Lucy knew a part of her followed Peggy because she had designated her as a handler. But it had been years and her mind had adjusted enough to know Peggy was a friend- family- and someone who wouldn't ever use her the way HYDRA did.

She was safe.

Lucy smiled at her and shook her head, almost laughing with admiration when Peggy let out the longest relieved sigh she'd ever heard.

"I'm glad, love." She breathed. "I won't ever force anything on you, okay?"

She could see the tenseness in Peggy's shoulders dissipate completely, the stern firmness in her voice hitting Lucy with absolute clarity. Her lips tilted upwards into a soft smile, nodding in understanding.