[ 34 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

34

"I'm my own person too

"I'm my own person too."

Kreischberg, Austria
October, 1943

FOUR CONCRETE WALLS SURROUNDED Lucy, bleak and empty. The room was dimly lit by a single lightbulb in the ceiling, which flickered seldom so. At least the light wouldn't drive her crazy this time. She laid on her side, facing the door. She rubbed her eyes tiredly. She didn't know how much time had passed since she'd awoken in the cell, but she knew it must've been days. It had to still be October- maybe the last week. It was the one thing she was confident in knowing. She'd been alone without any food and she was more or less frail. Her ankles were cuffed to a set of chains connected to the wall. She could sleep a foot away from the door- any further and she'd be in constant pain.

She didn't sleep in front of the door when she first woke up. She liked to think she was okay with being completely alone with a broken light source for a whole day, but she had a nagging feeling that she sat in front of the cell door only after a few hours.

She felt trapped and she wanted out.

When enough time passed she started to move closer and closer to the door, an aching feeling in her chest. It was something she couldn't quite identify as she started to wait for the door to open. It didn't, for an insufferable amount of time, and Lucy started to grow desperate. The only person who could take her out of this room was Dr. Schaffer. No matter how many times she called for James, or for them to leave James alone, they wouldn't open the door, and she'd be stuck here.

For however long they wanted.

She sniffled, hugging herself as she drew her knees higher up to her chest. She waited and waited and continued to wait, her hope crumbling with every hour that passed.

When she finally heard the lock click open she vaguely wondered if she was hallucinating. Then the lock fully turned and she shot up from the ground, into a sitting position as the door was pushed open. All embarrassment and humiliation left her as she latched onto the person that appeared in front of her. Dr. Schaffer shut the door behind him as she grasped onto his pant leg, hands trembling as he crouched in front of her. He placed a stack of familiar clothes in front of her, accompanied by her old ballet shoes.

Horror seeped from her gut, knowing full well she had no strength to dance for hours like he'd want. But she could only feel relieved- someone else had finally entered her cell. He unshackled the cuffs around her ankles. Then said nothing as he stood and turned back towards the door to leave.