[ α ]

_______________
__________
_____

P R O L O G U E

α

"Humanity cannot be trusted with their own freedom

"Humanity cannot be trusted with their own freedom."

Bavaria, Germany
January, 1939

LUCY AWAKES TO THE click of the first lock. Her cell is vacant and she uncurls from her position on the cold floor when the second lock clicks. She blinks the drowsiness out of her eyes as the third lock clicks. When the fourth lock clicks she's pushing herself onto her feet, fatigued body leaning heavily against the wall.

She is expected to stand to attention between the first lock and the fifth lock, regardless of injuries from the prior day.

The final lock clicks and she stumbles into the center of the room, a tattered hospital gown barely clinging onto her aching body. She holds her hands in front of her, open-palmed, and when the heavy metal door is pushed open she drops her gaze. Her eyes remain glued to the ground as an unnamed scientist examines the room for stolen items. He orders her to drop her hands and she does. He steps out of the cell, and she follows wordlessly, eyes attentive. Guards surround her as she is led down the narrow hall.

They always turn right, where she sees other women escorted in the same manner as herself- they are all blonde haired, blue eyed, tall.

They file into two lines, eight on either side, and she finds herself at the very front besides Subject 015. The scientists and guards escort them into a large room with thirty-two hospital beds.

Sixteen women have died, sixteen beds will remain empty.

She walks to her designated bed, and robotically pulls herself onto the fabric. Her back presses against the frame as sixteen nurses enter the room. She watches mindlessly as a nurse inserts a needle into her forearm, connected to an IV drip with a clear substance.

The nurses leave and the lights turn off. The women are submerged in darkness.

Twenty minutes later the lights turn on and another nameless scientist walks inside, followed by different nurses. They pull the IV needles out of the women's forearms, and the scientist orders them to stand.

Lucy feels weak but she swings her legs over the bed and plants them firmly into the concrete before standing. She almost stumbles, knees buckling, but she retains her balance and straightens her back, shoulders squared as she waits for further instruction. Her heart thumps against her chest as she hears the sound of knees hitting concrete. Her head threatens to snap to the side as Subject 009 and Subject 006 at the furthest side of the room kneel on the ground, hands clasping their heads as they cry.