Chapter 5

To say she was nervous was an understatement. She wasn't sure what to wear to the party that wouldn't make her feel too exposed, but also not too modest just because Ben didn't like that. She looked through the variety of dresses that he had got tailor-made for her, none which she would ever willingly wear out alone. At least he gave her an option of wearing what she wanted at home, she couldn't imagine having to wear fancy dresses at home, for no reason whatsoever.

She finally decided after long minutes of staring at her cupboard, pulling out a black dress. She already didn't like it, just because of the sleeves. She quickly pulled the dress on. It was an off the shoulder dress, tightly fitted. Due to her extra curves at the top and bottom, it was tight in those areas, making some cleavage pop up from the dress and accentuate her hips more than usual. She already felt an embarrassed blush covering her face although she was alone, it would be much worse if she were around strangers that she would meet at the party.

She sat down at her vanity, deciding to put her hair up in a bun, but letting a few loose bangs decorate the side of her face. Finally, it was time to do her make up, she kept it very light. It was easy to overdo a look like this and ruin it. She applied a thin layer of nude pink gloss and finished off the look with some eyeliner. She got up again and took out black strappy heels. She gave herself a once over in the mirror.

She liked the way she looked.

But she would've preferred being dressed like this if she was going to be alone with her husband, being so bare felt very intimate to her, but Ben had no interest in her. She grabbed her purse and walked down the stairs to meet Ben.

He was sitting on the sofa, sipping on some sort of alcohol drink. "I'm ready... I think." She stated shyly. Ben stood up, giving her a once over. "You look perfect." He stated, her blush increased even more. It was the first time he had said anything nice to her.

"We will have to be somewhat affectionate in public, Myra." He stated as he stood in front of her. She nodded understandingly. He raised his hand in front of her and gazing down at her with his striking blue eyes. She lifted her hand and placed it in his, feeling even more shy than before. He held her hand in a firm grasp and led her out to his car, opening the passenger door for her.

"People will ask you questions so be prepared to answer them with confidence. If you are confident then there will be no problem, but the moment you stutter, they will catch on to that and intimidate you. So at least for your reputation, please be confident and pretend to know what they are talking about even if you don't."

Myra looked away again with embarrassment, she didn't have a degree specialising in anything, but she educated herself enough to learn about different topics. He didn't mean to offend her this time at all, she could tell that much.

"Okay. I'll try my best." She nodded, looking out of the window and watched as they drove through a narrow road. The rest of the ride was quiet, and they soon arrived outside a mansion. It was huge, bigger than Ben's. The pathway was decorated with tall iron lampposts, lighting up the way to the entrance of the house. It looked completely magical, behind the lampposts there were thick rose bushes.

"Wow." She muttered, as her wide eyes took in her surroundings. "Just wait till you see the inside." He smirked. He grasped her hand again, this time linking their fingers together as the double doors opened and they stepped.

Myra's mouth dropped open as she looked up at the chandelier, lighting up the hall dimly, surrounded by smaller chandeliers covering the ceiling. She looked out in front of herself to see small groups of people mingling together, holding glasses of champagne or wine. "Do I have to drink?" she asked, glancing up at him.