Chapter 44: The CEO.

The two didn't contact each other for the rest of the day. Seven stayed in his apartment, thinking about whether he should've mentioned how he got fired or not. Part of him wanted to tell Nicolas, but he'd feel Nick would cause more trouble with his father.

The assistant felt ill to his stomach thinking about how Nicolas viewed him now. Breaking the promise that he'd stay by his side created this motion of sickness in his body. He hated thinking about it...

It was finally Tuesday.

The day of the wedding.

Nicolas and his father were sitting in the living room of Henderson's house.  Nicolas's head pounded the second he woke up, so being put in the same room as his father didn't ease his headache. The two were waiting for Victoria and her father to come downstairs to talk about the preparations for the wedding and though the two fathers were happily eager to create this union, Nicolas and Victoria had a painful feeling in their chests.

Nicolas felt a nudge on his shoulder, hearing his father whisper to him, "Smile, Nicolas. This is a special occasion," his father commented. Nicolas ignored him, keeping his eyes on his phone so that his hands clenched, hoping to get a message from Seven. His heart ached, keeping his eyes on the screen.

"I'm sure you're very excited to be married to a beautiful woman, aren't you, Nicolas?" His father chuckled and cleared his throat after another second of quietness crawled in between them, "By the way, that former assistant of yours was quite rude... coming into my office... telling me how to run MY company," he clicked his tongue several times, shaking his head, "Ridiculous."

Nicolas blinked, hearing the comment from his father. The weight on his shoulders lifted, his eyes moving away from his phone and turning to eye his father, "What?" he choked up.

"He didn't tell you? Ha! You should keep a leash on your PAs before I fire them."

Nicolas blinked a few more times as if he fought back the tears that wanted to escape his eyes. The tension in his body blew away once the AC of the house started, the cold breeze in the living room allowing Nicolas to realize the situation and piece the puzzle together.

"You fired my assistant?" He asked calmly, turning his attention back to his phone, the corner of his lips curving into a smile.

"Little shit had huge confidence walking into my office demanding to cancel the wedding. Tsked... and then continued to accuse of having bad parental skills!"

Nick cleared his throat, hearing Victoria and his father step downstairs. Nicolas tilted his head to the side, popping his cramped neck as he stood up, getting the attention of the people in the room.

Victoria stared at him, seeing his relieved expression. The two made eye contact, and the CEO's smile grew, mirroring Victoria's reassuring smile.

"Nick?" Joseph called. Nicolas turned to his father, and letting out a small chuckle, "I quit," he softly announced.

The chairman narrowed his eyes at his son, shaking his head, "You what?"

"I quit, dad... I'm not going through with the wedding." Nicolas turned to Victoria again, nodding at her, "Sorry."

Victoria grinned at him, "Go to him." she softly mouthed. Nicolas kept his gaze on for a little longer on her, hurrying out the front door.

"Nicolas! Nick!" his father shouted. It was the last thing the CEO heard from his father before closing the door behind him, inhaling the fresh wind, his shoulders relaxing as he stood outside the porch. A rush of satisfaction grew inside of him, taking out his phone and dialing Marcel's number.